Mean City Cycles Custom Seat Alterations and Modifications

09 Ultra/EG touring seat getting worse

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:58 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts
Default 09 Ultra/EG touring seat getting worse

About three weeks ago we had a guy ride in from TN to have his 09 ultra seat worked on. When we started working on it we did so like we have done with the 08-09 seats. Well, big surprise when we got the foam cut away because there was two hollow spots in the sitting area of the seat. I thought maybe it was just a fluke and they had made, an air bubble which foam will do if not pour correctly. Well, last week we saw another one like this. That got me thinking that maybe someone up in the HD HQ is listening about the seats being too wide and this was their remedy to fix that issue. Then yesterday a guy calls the shop says he just bought a 09 Ultra, he hasn't ridden it but the seat is bad just sitting on the showroom floor and wanted to me to pick it up and work on it while he was getting pipes and other stuff put on. I felt the sides of the seat and they felt hollow like the two previous mentioned seats did. On my way out of the dealer a guy who Fatboy seat we worked on last year stopped and said he has a new ultra and he keeps sliding forward. He bought this bike two weeks ago. I felt that seat and you guessed it, hollow sides. This morning I decided I would take some pictures of a pre-09 seat (09 bike but sold before 09)and what the current 09 seats are looking like. Here is what I have found.

This is a 09 that was sold before Jan 1, 09

This seat is a 09 that was purchased two days ago seat. The red lines point out indentions in the foam and the reason they are there is because the foam is hollow in this section.

09 Seat sold before Jan 1, 09

The two day old 09 seat. Holy crap.

If I were HD I would put this picture on the wall saying 'HOW NOT TO MAKE A SEAT" I am almost to a loss of words when I see a seat such as this because I have to wonder WTF were they thinking? The center section of the seat is going to be a MAJOR pressure point because there isn't any foam in there to give support across the seat. Tall and heavier riders are going to slide forward because there the lack of foam isn't there to stop them from doing that, the seat actually has a slope forward in it.

I have already figured out how to remedy this but honestly I should be a tweaker and not a rebuilder but we do what we gotta do. I honestly thought that HD couldn't do any worse on these seats. WRONG! Instead of getting better they are getting worse which is good for my business but I honestly don’t think poor quality like this should be getting sold on $20k motorcycles. Whoever they have designing their seats don’t know the difference between their head and their ***.

Last picture is a 09 touring bike seat pan...next time I have a 08 seat pan I will take a picture of it so you will be able to see the difference in the two.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:04 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member

Just a quick update on the 2010 seats, they are made just like the post 2009 seats and what we are doing to fix these seats is the double decker modification. We are filling in all the air pockets with foam using the first layer of memroy foam to level the sitting area back out and the second layer to build the seat height back up. This has been working really well on both the 09 and 10 model seats.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Boggie Dog
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope this is the right place to ask this question.

I like what I read about how your doing seats. Sounds pretty much what I'm looking for.

I have an '03 Ultra Classic with the 100 Anniversity Emblem on the seat rise. Would like to keep that little touch. Can you guys maintain that emblems position while doing your magic on a seat?

Old 11-08-2009, 01:40 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Hope this is the right place to ask this question.

I like what I read about how your doing seats. Sounds pretty much what I'm looking for.

I have an '03 Ultra Classic with the 100 Anniversity Emblem on the seat rise. Would like to keep that little touch. Can you guys maintain that emblems position while doing your magic on a seat?

Yes, We have worked on a lot of the annv seats and havent had any issues

Old 11-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Boggie Dog
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BadX
Yes, We have worked on a lot of the annv seats and havent had any issues
Thanks for the info.

May be a non-issue, I see a SE5 in my future!

Old 02-15-2010, 12:41 PM
y2kflhr
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hey badx, I just saw this post, only a year late, you did my seat last march or so, 09 ultra, I don't recall it having a double decker set up, how can I find out? just curious

dave

Old 02-16-2010, 05:34 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by y2kflhr
hey badx, I just saw this post, only a year late, you did my seat last march or so, 09 ultra, I don't recall it having a double decker set up, how can I find out? just curious

dave

Dave,

If it was last March, then most likely your bike was made before Jan 1st 2009 so there shouldn't be any issues but we can stil do the double decker if you want it done.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:14 AM
y2kflhr
Road Captain

thanks allen, I am still very happy with my seat, and have recommended you when ever I can!!! 14k on the seat last year.....we will see what this year brings..I wonder what the new "low" pan would do, my problem was a height issue

thanks again

Old 02-17-2010, 05:26 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by y2kflhr
thanks allen, I am still very happy with my seat, and have recommended you when ever I can!!! 14k on the seat last year.....we will see what this year brings..I wonder what the new "low" pan would do, my problem was a height issue

thanks again

I feel sure the new pan design will get you lower because from the pictures I have seen it looks very similar to the 08 seat pan design and that has been the best seats since going to the 6 gallon tank.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:35 PM
y2kflhr
Road Captain

thanks allen.....guess I will venture into a new "low" pan, then send it down to you next winter.....

Last edited by y2kflhr; 02-18-2010 at 06:41 PM.

Quick Reply: 09 Ultra/EG touring seat getting worse