LiveWire Harley-Davidson's emerging models: HD's first electric motorcycle the LiveWire.

requesting some information

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 03:22 PM
commander47
Tourer
Received 344 Likes on 135 Posts
Default requesting some information

I've seen the Livewire in the HD shops around here. I'm not against EV bikes and to be honest, I'm impressed HD built one.

I had read that HD stopped producing them in 2021, but then I saw that the EV division was spun off as it's own brand!!! Are these discontinued? Is service available? parts?

Is that true? What is the status of this machine? It seems a little pricey to me at around 23,000, but still looks like a speed monster to me. I saw where the MOCO has sold about 200,000 of these, so it's clearly not a money loser.

1, Can these be charged at car charging stations? Do you get a home charger? How long does it take to charge?
2. How much is a battery replacement, and how often?
3. What are the impressions of forum riders?

Old 10-26-2022, 03:30 PM
sherob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,883 Likes on 1,792 Posts

Livewire was spun off to it's own company, trading on the NYSE.

More info...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LiveWire_(company)

https://www.livewire.com/

Old 03-07-2023, 01:33 PM
YZFDude1
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my Livewire from my local HD dealer. I was a bit surprised when I first test rode it about a year ago the dealer wasn't too enthusiastic about selling them. Then I went back now that I was ready to purchase, and the salesman jumped on one and we both rode livewires for the test ride. I'm not sure who could drop 20k on a bike they never rode on a website.
1. The bike can be charged at a lot of level 3 (fast) charging stations, in fact you can find them here (EVSE | Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Stations | ChargePoint). You do not get a home charger, you get a plug (110V) that plugs right into the wall. This is level 1 charging and it's the slowest, so figure about 8 to 10 hours to get you to full charge depending on where you start.
2. No clue on battery replacement, however, I was listening to a video the other day that HD/Livewire doesn't charge to 100% or go down to 0%, instead the numbers look like it's 80% full when it tells you it's at 100% and it's at 20% when it tells you that it's at 0%. The theory is that you want to charge these batteries up to 80% not 100, and you NEVER want them to go to 0% as it kills the life. The people who bought the first gen aren't seeing any loss in performance with regard to battery charging and distance, which is probably a smart marketing plan.
3. I've only had this thing a week and I've always owned liter bikes from the big names, Yamaha, Kawasaki, BMW, etc. I can tell you that there is no performance problem. I'm 6ft 1in, 300 lbs and this bike can get to 60mph in just over 3 seconds, and pulls hard to about 115 mph or so due to the thin air here in Albuquerque.
I will say this, my BMW 1000RR makes power like a nuclear reaction, it's harsh and fast all at once and you feel like Wylie Coyote holding on. I don't feel that with the Livewire, it's twist of the wrist and the computer makes the acceleration feels almost non existent until your brain is registering objects flying by you at 100mph.
The bike is easy to ride, which might be trouble for people who don't understand how fast speed can ruin your day.
Regenerative braking is very strong to the point of being absurd on the bike, however, it is adjustable so you can adjust it.

One thing I don't like, the mirrors are completely worthless, I've seen some people mount them under the handlebars so I may try that, I might also buy some HD replacement ones. Another small annoyance is that the controls seem to make me have to take my hand off the throttle to hit the buttons, it could be placement issues and I'll have to play with that.