LiveWire Harley-Davidson's emerging models: HD's first electric motorcycle the LiveWire.

Street Fighter Bronx Streetfighter Absent in Harley's Rewire Plan

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 03:37 PM
Curated Content Editor
HDF Editor
Received 785 Likes on 385 Posts
Default Bronx Streetfighter Absent in Harley's Rewire Plan

Bronx Streetfighter Absent in Harley's Rewire Plan
By Bruce Montcombroux

The promised naked bike makes room for the Pan America launch.

Old 11-02-2020, 03:53 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 3,207 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Welcome to three months ago. This was reported back in August.

And you reported on it already in September.

Curated Content you have to up your game with some relevant news.

The following 4 users liked this post by VAFish:
Campy Roadie (11-18-2020), HuntWhenever (11-03-2020), PFWiz (11-23-2020), Pugslycat01 (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 01:19 PM
Pugslycat01
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

Bronx Streetfighter Reportedly Delayed Until 2022 - Also by HDF CCE

Harley-Davidson Bronx streetfighter delayed until at least 2022 - CNET Aug 24, 2020

Harley-Davidson Bronx streetfighter delayed until 2022 - PowerSports Business August 27, 2020

Old 11-17-2020, 11:49 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by VAFish
Welcome to three months ago. This was reported back in August.

And you reported on it already in September.

Curated Content you have to up your game with some relevant news.
There is none and probably won't be til it's impending death.

Old 11-18-2020, 08:22 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Is this guy related to the PR manager Saddam Hussein had ? LATE

Old 11-18-2020, 10:18 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,341 Likes on 6,765 Posts

It is going going and gone.

Old 11-18-2020, 11:34 AM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 512 Likes on 269 Posts

With the new plan one of the 'actions' was to 'reduce model complexity.' Since many models were already cut (CVO) will there be other cuts? One recent speculation I watched was the two bottom softail sellers, the SportGlide and the Deluxe.

At the end of the 1970's BMW Motorrad was facing extinction as all they had were facelifted boxers and nothing really new. They bet the farm and introduced a whole new line of K bikes in the early 1980's, with the inline engine. The press thought they were crazy for doing something so un-natural and crazy like that. Existing customers hated it. But a funny thing happened on the way to prosperity....new customers loved them! The new customers gravitated to the K-bikes and BMW kept the R-bikes for the traditionalists. What a stupid idea...

The following users liked this post:
GammaRei (12-10-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 02:49 PM
Pugslycat01
Tourer

I've heard the same thing about the Sport Glide and Deluxe getting cut next year as well as the remaining Sportster line, at least in Europe. We've been told for years that the older air cooled engines like the Evo can't meet the Euro 5 emissions standards. Since 2018 the Revolution Max bikes have been the only apparent strategy for H-D in mid-sized motorcycles, so they need to make this work. It is kind of odd that nothing in the Revolution Max line of bikes was even vaguely like a Sportster until some drawings showed up recently.

My best guess is that somebody at H-D decided they weren't competent to release three very different new bikes addressing two new market segments at the same time. Currently being risk averse they cut it to two:
  • The Custom 1250 is basically a baby FXDR. H-D has done power cruisers before, so no new challenges other than the Revolution Max engine.
  • The Pan American is an attempt to break into an important new market segment for H-D. That introduces added risk to the product release. It uses the same 1250cc engine as the Custom, so if there are problems it will likely be the exact same fix.
  • The Bronx would have been a second new market segment for H-D to try to break into at the same time. Although the 975cc displacement engine isn't likely to have unique problems, Murphy's law ensures whatever flaw the Revolution Max engines turn out to have be amongst the non-common parts. I suspect the new market segment overload is the big obstacle since the simple solution to the different displacement engines would be making the "Bronx 1250" now and a 975cc version after sorting out the initial new engine issues.
Having said all that, I think the Bronx is coming eventually because it's a bike that H-D needs to make. The Pan America and Bronx are both types of bikes that many new riders want to buy but can't get from H-D. Introducing both at once may just be biting off more than H-D can chew, especially in the current climate.

Old 11-21-2020, 04:25 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 3,207 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugslycat01
I've heard the same thing about the Sport Glide and Deluxe getting cut next year as well as the remaining Sportster line, at least in Europe. We've been told for years that the older air cooled engines like the Evo can't meet the Euro 5 emissions standards. Since 2018 the Revolution Max bikes have been the only apparent strategy for H-D in mid-sized motorcycles, so they need to make this work. It is kind of odd that nothing in the Revolution Max line of bikes was even vaguely like a Sportster until some drawings showed up recently.

My best guess is that somebody at H-D decided they weren't competent to release three very different new bikes addressing two new market segments at the same time. Currently being risk averse they cut it to two:
  • The Custom 1250 is basically a baby FXDR. H-D has done power cruisers before, so no new challenges other than the Revolution Max engine.
  • The Pan American is an attempt to break into an important new market segment for H-D. That introduces added risk to the product release. It uses the same 1250cc engine as the Custom, so if there are problems it will likely be the exact same fix.
  • The Bronx would have been a second new market segment for H-D to try to break into at the same time. Although the 975cc displacement engine isn't likely to have unique problems, Murphy's law ensures whatever flaw the Revolution Max engines turn out to have be amongst the non-common parts. I suspect the new market segment overload is the big obstacle since the simple solution to the different displacement engines would be making the "Bronx 1250" now and a 975cc version after sorting out the initial new engine issues.
Having said all that, I think the Bronx is coming eventually because it's a bike that H-D needs to make. The Pan America and Bronx are both types of bikes that many new riders want to buy but can't get from H-D. Introducing both at once may just be biting off more than H-D can chew, especially in the current climate.

I see a lot of the Sportster in the "New Custom" I think it is much more Sporster than FXDR. And just my opinion, but I think the New Custom is the replacement for the Sportster.

Old 11-23-2020, 12:30 PM
Pugslycat01
Tourer

Originally Posted by VAFish
I see a lot of the Sportster in the "New Custom" I think it is much more Sporster than FXDR. And just my opinion, but I think the New Custom is the replacement for the Sportster.
I suppose that depends upon your vision of the Sportster. My XL1200C wants to be a Heritage Classic or Road King when it grows up, but that's probably more of an exception than the rule. The "New Custom" isn't a replacement for a two up bagger. If somebody is riding one of the Irons or a Forty-Eight I guess the "New Custom" would be the replacement.

Quick Reply: Street Fighter Bronx Streetfighter Absent in Harley's Rewire Plan