LiveWire Harley-Davidson's emerging models: HD's first electric motorcycle the LiveWire.

Pan America Down in the Dirt with the Harley-Davidson's Adventure Bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 08:04 AM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 510 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
I don't think the serious "adventure" rider group will take the Harley seriously until someone does something like a Patagonia - Alaska ride, like "Itchy Boots" (youtube channel name) is currently doing on a Royal Enfield Himalayan. If Harley sponsored an experienced rider and provided a Pan America, it would be the best world wide advertising they could do - if it finished. A Canadian is back in Mexico while trying this round trip from Alaska. Poor fool started on a Ural sidecar rig, wised up and switched to an Africa Twin in Nevada. Even that highly respected bike has needed a lot of repairs along the way. Itchy Boots (Dutch lady), I have hopes for, but not expectations, unless she's careful to pick out the best roads, the Canadian hit many nightmare roads and trails that even the Honda had problems with. A rider like one of these finishing on the new Harley would ease a lot of fears about reliability. Maybe not Itchy, she's a little lady and no 1000+cc bike is a lightweight.
But wait...Long Way Up on Livewires is doing just that! Yea I know, Livewires....a fleet of them followed by a Rivian truck and a fleet of vans.

The PA would have been a better choice but I am NOT a marketing exec.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:08 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,469 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by dceggert

The PA would have been a better choice but I am NOT a marketing exec.
If the Pan America existed, it would have been an infinitely better choice. But the Pan America is a 2021 model and is still around a year away.

So this year they got LiveWire bikes. If they have another season next year, that's when they get Pan Americas.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:37 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Long lonesome highwayman
From the story:

Cruise control? Seriously?
I'll admit I've never done dual sport adventure riding. Off road, on road separately, yes. Is cruise control a seriously needed feature in an adventure bike?
YES! To begin an adventure riding experience, you first have to get to it. That's the segment of the "adventure" that usually requires the highway part of the trip, where cruise control comes in handy.
However, the terms "adventure", "duaL sport" and "off-road" have been used so often as the same thing. I'm not sure that's correct. I don't see an "off-road
" bike needing cruise control, as they are usually trucked to the off-road location.

The following 2 users liked this post by GOV5:
cacomly (12-11-2019), FatBob2018 (12-01-2019)