LiveWire Harley-Davidson's emerging models: HD's first electric motorcycle the LiveWire.

LiveWire Rode a LiveWire

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 03:28 PM
Tupp
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rode a LiveWire

So the other week HD sent the marketing guys to a mall parking lot not too far from me and I went with some friends to check out all the hype.

Let me tell you, I ride a road king but I came from the dirt world, too sport bikes to Harley's and worked my way through them. I appreciate lean angles and the instant power it has. Hell the effin thing has cruise control and can control your gps.

I think it's a bit expensive but all new toys are. They took us for a 10-12 min run over 4-6 miles or so. I turned off traction control and put it in sport mode and took off!! Super cool but if im gonna part with 30k, its not gonna be for one of these.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:20 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 3,207 Likes on 1,655 Posts

I did a demo on one as well they are a lot of fun

Old 09-14-2019, 09:17 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by VAFish
I did a demo on one as well they are a lot of fun
I’m sure it is, but once the novelty wears off , It’s just something else you have to change.

Wiz 🍻

The following 2 users liked this post by Wizardofaus:
blap (09-15-2019), Jaftica (12-12-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 03:33 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
I’m sure it is, but once the novelty wears off , It’s just something else you have to change.

Wiz 🍻
Like my Sportster is just something else I have to put gas in? like my lawn mower, chain saw, weed whacker, ect.....

How many riders have a bike for just short rides around town, commuting, running errands, bar hopping, ect....?

There are a lot of Sportsters around with little 2.5 gal peanut tanks, rigid tail frames and all sorts of other modifications that don't work for me. That doesn't make those bikes wrong, it just makes them wrong for me. Livewire is the same thing.

The following 2 users liked this post by VAFish:
cacomly (09-26-2019), dceggert (12-13-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 09:06 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Like my Sportster is just something else I have to put gas in? like my lawn mower, chain saw, weed whacker, ect.....

How many riders have a bike for just short rides around town, commuting, running errands, bar hopping, ect....?

There are a lot of Sportsters around with little 2.5 gal peanut tanks, rigid tail frames and all sorts of other modifications that don't work for me. That doesn't make those bikes wrong, it just makes them wrong for me. Livewire is the same thing.
Yeah, ok agreed, But ya lawnmower, weed whacker and chain saw don’t cost 30 grand.

Look,.... It maybe a great bike for inner city runs and trips to the outer burbs, but at the end of the day the price killed it before it got off the paper it was drawn on.

I’d just be interested as to anyone here that’s put money down for one ?. I mean if it’s that greater deal and appealing to the masses, Who’s getting one.

Wiz 🍸

Old 09-16-2019, 09:58 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
Yeah, ok agreed, But ya lawnmower, weed whacker and chain saw don’t cost 30 grand.

Look,.... It maybe a great bike for inner city runs and trips to the outer burbs, but at the end of the day the price killed it before it got off the paper it was drawn on.

I’d just be interested as to anyone here that’s put money down for one ?. I mean if it’s that greater deal and appealing to the masses, Who’s getting one.

Wiz 🍸

Who is putting money down on $50,000 CVO trikes?

All Harley's are over priced compared to the Japanese competition, I can buy a brand new Kawasaki Voyager touring bike for half the cost of a Harley Ultra, yet people are still buying Ultra's. I see way more Ultra's than I do Voyagers. (just not enough of them to keep the MoCo going hence their need to enter new markets) Price it not the only reason to buy a motorcycle, motorcycle purchases are usually an emotional decision.

I don't think you will find many around here that have put money down on a Livewire because your typical Harley owner that hangs out on this forum is not the target market for the Livewire. If old grumpy Harley riders like you are hating on the Livewire I'd say Harley is taking a step in the right direction to enter new markets.

The following 2 users liked this post by VAFish:
cacomly (09-26-2019), dceggert (12-13-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 12:57 AM
Agoober
Banned
Received 1,009 Likes on 714 Posts

I will own one ASAP, might be next year though but yea I want one.

Peace.

The following users liked this post:
cacomly (09-26-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 10:14 AM
HDultralowGA
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Talking

Who is putting money down on $50,000 CVO trikes?

All Harley's are over priced compared to the Japanese competition, I can buy a brand new Kawasaki Voyager touring bike for half the cost of a Harley Ultra, yet people are still buying Ultra's. I see way more Ultra's than I do Voyagers. (just not enough of them to keep the MoCo going hence their need to enter new markets) Price it not the only reason to buy a motorcycle, motorcycle purchases are usually an emotional decision.

I don't think you will find many around here that have put money down on a Livewire because your typical Harley owner that hangs out on this forum is not the target market for the Livewire. If old grumpy Harley riders like you are hating on the Livewire I'd say Harley is taking a step in the right direction to enter new markets.
1/2 the bike = 1/2 the cost. Makes complete sense to me!!

Old 09-17-2019, 10:17 AM
Spivitz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,412 Likes on 2,300 Posts

Very cool Man, thanks for posting. I'd enjoy riding one myself.
For the record, would not buy, I love fire breathing gasoline motors

The following users liked this post:
Wizardofaus (09-19-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 01:08 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDultralowGA
1/2 the bike = 1/2 the cost. Makes complete sense to me!!
You see the Kawasaki as 1/2 the bike I see it as pretty close. Close enough I won't spend twice the price for an ultra when there is a dealer nearby selling the Kawasaki out the door for $14300.

But people buying electric bikes will be making exactly the same types of decisions. Do they buy the zero for $23000 or the Harley for $28000?

Like you see difference in the Ultra and Voyager there is a difference between the Zero an the Livewire.

The question is are there enough electric motorcycle buyers willing to pay the harley premium?

Only time will tell.

Quick Reply: LiveWire Rode a LiveWire