LiveWire Harley-Davidson's emerging models: HD's first electric motorcycle the LiveWire.

Pan America Down in the Dirt with the Harley-Davidson's Adventure Bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 06:09 PM
Curated Content Editor
HDF Editor
Received 779 Likes on 383 Posts
Default Down in the Dirt with the Harley-Davidson's Adventure Bike

Down in the Dirt with the Harley-Davidson's Adventure Bike
By Bruce Montcombroux

A polarizing design meant to attract new riders, but will it work?

Old 11-01-2019, 06:31 PM
Truble
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I’m excited to see the new bikes and more about the new power plant

Old 11-01-2019, 09:24 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 7,035 Likes on 2,733 Posts

From the story:

A prerequisite of ADV bikes is rider-assisted technology. In a 2018 Cycle World interview, Harley-Davidson Senior Vice President Chief Operating Officer Michelle Kumbier said the “Pan America will have a lot of advanced technology.” At the very minimum, the Adventure Touring will have to include cruise control, advanced ABS, ride modes, and traction control or it will be a non-starter in the marketplace.
Cruise control? Seriously?
I'll admit I've never done dual sport adventure riding. Off road, on road separately, yes. Is cruise control a seriously needed feature in an adventure bike?

The following users liked this post:
Truble (11-02-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 09:40 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,201 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by Long lonesome highwayman
From the story:

I'll admit I've never done dual sport adventure riding. Off road, on road separately, yes. Is cruise control a seriously needed feature in an adventure bike?

Look at the specs for all the other 1200+ cc adventure bikes. They all have cruise control.

From what I've seen around here most of the adventure bikes are like all the SUV's they never go off road. They make a great touring bike, that long travel suspension makes for a really nice ride on the road, hit a pot hole or RR crossing and they don't jar you around.

Besides even the people who do actually ride them off road will ride on the road to get to the off road location. So yea cruise control is seriously needed or they won't be competitive in the adventure bike market.

The following 3 users liked this post by VAFish:
Mike_blomquist (11-14-2019), perki48 (11-03-2019), rauchman (11-04-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 09:44 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,630 Likes on 11,533 Posts

To the Op: could you please put a bit more effort into your posts than to simply post links, how about posting an excerpt or God forbid...your own own summary backed by the article. Otherwise...I’m not reading further than the subject title.

Old 11-02-2019, 04:19 AM
Truble
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

From the story:

I read in a motorcycle mag just a couple months ago that ADV owners admitted to riding mostly on the road with about 10- 15% doing light off road riding. They stated they light the style on the bike but really didn’t take it off road much.

Old 11-02-2019, 05:32 AM
gordy67
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

If i was in the market for that style of bike,It would be the BMW adv rgs 1250 it looks better.

Old 11-02-2019, 08:15 AM
panheadache
Road Master
Received 809 Likes on 388 Posts

The engine is just what I've been waiting on. When I see the bike, my mind immediately starts: Change out to street tires. Lower bike. Get rid of that obtrusive upswept muffler and add full bags and tour pack. A serious long duration seat and backrest for Shelly. A serious shield, or maybe rip off that whole front end abortion and redo it. Ehh... I'm tired of mods... why can't the moco provide me with a serious faired bagged mid-sized (approx 600lb) water cooled 2-up motorcycle?

Last edited by panheadache; 11-02-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:24 AM
panheadache
Road Master
Received 809 Likes on 388 Posts

I was hoping the new line would include a more "standard" layout. The Streetfighter (Bronx) could be made into something, but that ball-buster ****-high seat really limits what I could do with it without major frame surgery. The low location of the headlight would also present an engineering challenge to convert to an upright touring-friendly shield/fairing.

ETA: The Street 750... well, I've sat on it at the dealers and my mind races, but there is just something clunky and "shrunken" feeling about it to me. It's not totally out of the question as a basis for what I want to do, but I was hoping the new lines would bring out something closer to what I want. I can wait.

Last edited by panheadache; 11-02-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:33 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,346 Posts

Absolutely!

I did 5,000 miles on a small ADV over the summer. 3,500 was a trip to and from the Continental Divide Trail. 900 highway miles to get to the start of the trail at the border with Mexico, then 1,300 miles of off-road and highway up through the Rockies and into Wyoming, then 1,400 highway miles back home. That bike didn't have cruise, and I was seriously missing it.

ADV bikes are highway touring bikes that can go off-road too. They're not dirt bikes that can go on the highway; those are called "Enduro" or "dual sport" bikes.

The following 3 users liked this post by FatBob2018:
greendohn (11-04-2019), perki48 (11-03-2019), rauchman (11-04-2019)

Quick Reply: Pan America Down in the Dirt with the Harley-Davidson's Adventure Bike