Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.
View Poll Results: Why do you check out vintage Harley threads?
I like all Harley's and check out all the threads.
32.29%
I especially like vintage Harley's
25.00%
I own a vintage Harley and look for threads related to my year of bike.
47.92%
I hope to own a vintage Harley and I am always looking for ideas/information on a certain year.
18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

1977 Hot Rod Bobber Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 08:00 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,840 Likes on 3,013 Posts

when i spray paint a spray can i am checking color on, on a rusted wheel barrel it looks like it was done by porsche racing BUT when i do something like you are doing for my self and it really matters to me, the paint has colored glue or and unwanted texture in it for some reason

Old 03-25-2014, 04:03 PM
BayBones
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
when i spray paint a spray can i am checking color on, on a rusted wheel barrel it looks like it was done by porsche racing BUT when i do something like you are doing for my self and it really matters to me, the paint has colored glue or and unwanted texture in it for some reason
LOL That is exactly the way I feel JohnJzJz!! I painted a plastic planter for my wife last year and the thing came out perfect (and I didn't give a ****) But after taking all the time to prep these wheels and make sure I did everything right - the wrinkling really pissed me off. Anyway I am having way to much fun with this build to let that bother me:-).

Thanks for joining in on the fun - I was starting to think nobody was reading this thread anymore:-)

Old 03-25-2014, 04:29 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,840 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Originally Posted by BayBones
LOL That is exactly the way I feel JohnJzJz!! I painted a plastic planter for my wife last year and the thing came out perfect (and I didn't give a ****) But after taking all the time to prep these wheels and make sure I did everything right - the wrinkling really pissed me off. Anyway I am having way to much fun with this build to let that bother me:-).

Thanks for joining in on the fun - I was starting to think nobody was reading this thread anymore:-)
it seems to me lots of the guys have fun reading along not having any spicific input to add // lots of what goes on is really Technical and i believe they would not want to give incorrect info to any of the guys --jz

Old 03-25-2014, 08:20 PM
sasquatch_38
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im,readin,,,just watchin,lol

Old 03-25-2014, 09:03 PM
anonymous_1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I'm still reading too.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:21 AM
BayBones
Tourer

Great to see there are still some die hard vintage build fans out there guys, makes me that much more motivated to post stupid pics of beer cans and crappy paint jobs LOL.

Seriously, half the fun for me in posting to HD Forum is knowing that other guys/gals with the same type of interest are following along, and that I might be able to learn a new technique or method to do something that I am about to try or have already screwed up once - like my painted wheels.

I still have a long way to go with my plans for this little bobber. Once I get the wheels painted and the whitewalls (port-o-wall) put on (that should be interesting), I am going to attempt to shave my fork lowers using a table saw with a metal cutting wheel. I have been watching Youtube videos on how guys have done this and it looks like something I want to try. I will then and sand them smooth with hand tools - should be some good fun in all of that. Gotta make sure my Medical Insurance is all paid up:-) (Nah, I live in Canada where cigarettes are $15 a pack and heart transplants are free!)

Old 03-26-2014, 06:48 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Still following also. Was gonna say something about powder coat and wrinkles but decided not to.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:52 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

I am following this thread. Enjoy seeing how everything is coming. Keep up the good work.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:05 PM
BayBones
Tourer

Originally Posted by 98Ultra
Still following also. Was gonna say something about powder coat and wrinkles but decided not to.
Hey 98 Ultra, I was thinking about trying to powder coat a few items - that would eliminate the wrinkly paint problem I guess - but I don't have the gear. I didn't want to pay to have them done because part of my goal with this build is to do as much as I can on my own (which really won't be much LOL).

A buddy of mine built a PC oven in his garage out of a regular kitchen oven and has turned out some nice PC stuff. I might try it yet - still working out the logistics and equipment required.

If anybody watching this thread has done any powder coating at home I would be interested in hearing about your set up - oven - racks, PC gun etc. I was thinking about PC'ing my fork lowers if there is anything left of them after I shave them down:-)

Old 03-26-2014, 12:06 PM
BayBones
Tourer

Originally Posted by hell hound
I am following this thread. Enjoy seeing how everything is coming. Keep up the good work.
Thanks HellHound, I am going to keep trying my best and posting everything for the fun of it. Thanks for following.

Quick Reply: 1977 Hot Rod Bobber Build