Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

67 XLCH help needed various areas

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 07:30 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

PG, never paid attention to the fact that you're here in Houston. Let's hook up sometime, I have a ton of beer to pay for sir!

Old 05-23-2012, 07:52 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
PG, never paid attention to the fact that you're here in Houston. Let's hook up sometime, I have a ton of beer to pay for sir!
Ha-Ha! I am going to save you some money, as I do not (cannot) drink.
But I would sure take a cup of coffee most days!

I live about a mile west of Reliant Stadium, just inside the 610 Loop and off Stella Link Rd.
Send me a PM sometime when you want to meet up and we will work out the details.
pg

Old 05-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Can't Wait 2 Ride
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMick
For 1979 to 1985 ...

99484-85 Service Manual
99451-85A Parts Catalog

Local bike shop, local HD Dealer, various eBay/internet sellers, J&P Cycles, etc.
Thanks Mick - I have some electrical issues to work out so I'm hopeful that the manual and parts catalog will give me a head start,

Old 05-24-2012, 07:26 AM
dragstews
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ

First thing I notice is the center of the case underneath is leaking oil like a sift so obviously that has to be fixed.
First thing would be to see where this oil is coming from...
The 72 and back Sporties was bad about the cases breaking around the counter shaft bore...They have a speedo drive in the worst area of the case to put one...makes them super weak....

Can be repaired a few ways....But would need to gut down the motor to bare cases in order to do so....

Much Luck with the Old Girl..

Old 06-13-2012, 06:14 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

I'm back! LOL finally getting around to tinkering with this thing. bought the manuals for this thing but obviously the front end is not a 67-ish. Anyone tell me how to get the brake caliper off this biatch! lol

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/p...H/IMG_0039.jpg

what looks to be a bolt of some sorts or maybe a pin at the top of the caliper near the fork, has no head on it, and it perfectly round.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:30 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

take off the 4 allen head screws, give it a gentle tap with a rubber hammer and it will fall apart into two halves. the others are pins (actually the lower one might be a stud). If it has rusted together use a little PB plaster...then clean it really well later to remove the PB.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:44 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

ah ha.. i see said the blind man talking to his deaf wife who was on the telephone!

Old 09-15-2012, 10:30 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

I'm back! LOL.. Finally getting back around to working on this thing. I think I told most that the owner refused to sell to me so I'm still tinkering with this thing for him. Back in June, I got her running like a top with many parts and a TON of help from you guys.

Here's my problem now. Once the bike was started, the owner was going to leave with it after we tooled around on it. Well after we got it back into my garage that afternoon and he was ready to leave. Started it up and no lights whatsoever.. headlights, taillights, brake lights. Everything was working fine during our riding around that day. So i figured wiring. Well that wasn't it as all wiriing is intact and correct. So now I'm down to the voltage regulator, generator, or capacitor that's mounted just below generator. Problem is the manual doesn't give you a viable way to test any of these. IronMick and Piniongear.. do you by chance have some sort of test procedure for these 3 devices? Well really 2 devices, I know how to test the cap.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:50 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

This Sticky post from the other IronHead forum has all the info you need to test the gen ...

Ironhead Charging System Checkout
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...ad.php?t=39146

I expect you have a electrical/mechanical regulator? I know nothing about them. With the solid state/electronic ones the best test is to replace with a known good unit.

However, i do expect that the problem is not with these parts, especially if the bike actually starts and runs, just with no lights.

Check the lights circuit breaker?

Do voltage drop tests over the lights wires?

Old 09-15-2012, 03:39 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

ok here's what I've found. kicked this biatch over and shes running. For about 5 minutes all lights function normally. After that a complete loss of voltage to the lighting circuit but bike stays running perfectly fine.

any ideas? and it looks like the circuit breaker you're referring to is inside the magneto which is something I really didn't want to fool with considering if it's off a MM, when I go to kick her over, I'll know it and usually by the way of physical pain. :-)

Quick Reply: 67 XLCH help needed various areas