Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

67 XLCH help needed various areas

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 03:10 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
PG, I haven't been able to get ahold of Ronnie yet but I'll keep trying in the next few days. If I stick to my guns on what my intentions are to rebuild this bike back to it's original stock shape, is this what I should be expecting it to look like when I'm done?

Reason I ask is I've done quite a few searches and each search produces a different looking 67 XLCH for one reason or another.
Yes, that is an excellent example of what a 1967 XLCH should look like.
The reason you may see a number of different examples is that anytime a bike is 'restored' much is left up to the restorer to get right what parts came on the original, and that is sometimes hard to do.

There is little written history on what a 1967 (or other year model for that matter) came from the factory with in the way of equipment.
A factory parts book is probably the best guide there is to answer these questions.

I raced Harley on a professional level during the years 1962 and 1966 and was always around Harley dealers and the dealer I rode for.

I once had a keen knowledge of what the Sportster in any given year came equipped with, as most young kids did at the time.

Well, I find myself no longer that young kid and many of the details have slipped past me into history.
And to add to that I stopped racing in 1966 so my knowledge of Sportsters after that time is not as keen as before 1967.

But returning to the question.....The example you have looks right to me.
The correct wheels and drums, correct fuel tank, correct headlight and fenders.
The seat with that handrail is the only thing that bothers me a bit.
I seem to recall the XLH had the twin seat with the hand rail and the XLCH had the solo seat.
But perhaps I am thinking of an earlier XLCH.

So let me take a peek into my 1954 to 1965 Parts Manual......
The twin seat (white or black & white) was put on the 1954 KH on through the 1965 XLH and XLCH. The hand rail came with each seat.

Then there was a hand rail (p/n 52547-52a) that fit a 1954 KH through a 1958 XLH.

Handrail 52925-59 fit a 1959-1965 XLH and XLCH.

The solo seat p/n 52000-40 fit a 1965 and newer XLCH.
The solo seat p/n 52010-54 fit 1954 to 1964 KH, XL, XLH, XLCH and 1965 XLH.
So it gets really involved trying to find what equipment goes with which model bike.

I know my 1962 XLCH came with the K Model Solo Seat so perhaps the '67 model had the twin seat.
I could not tell the difference between a 52000-40 and a 52010-54 if I was holding one in each hand!

I do know it was in the late 1960's when Harley started to quietly blend the XLH and the XLCH into a single model. It took over 10 years to eliminate the XLCH, but they managed to do it.
pg

Old 05-15-2012, 06:14 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

well as fate would have it he doesn't want to spend much on this thing and my heart skipped a beat when he said "hell yeah I'll sell it to you" asked what I'd give him for it, so I told him $800 cash.. he responded with "yeah I don't think so.. maybe $3500 would be more in the price range" i told him he was out of his mind because I was going to pull the motor and trash everything else. This thing is a death trap as it sits with the rusted welds on the frame, neck, etc. but he insists on riding it.

so what he wants me to do is rebuild the S&S carb, clean out the fuel and oil lines, replace the casing where the kicker is (sprocket cover) with the correct one, fix some wiring, change the tires, replace oil and fuel line, change the brake pads and front disc and he'll be on his way.. this bike will wind up in a grave yard somewhere rusting to sh&t!

oh well.. now onto my quest for finding the casing around the kick starter.

damnit man!

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 05-15-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:18 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

oh yeah.. IronMick and piniongear, you guys are a wealth of knowledge. thank you both for your time and hopefully I'll be back soon to ask more questions/opinions of you both because now I've got the desire to do this even though this pinhead won't sell me this one.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:32 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

well as fate would have it he doesn't want to spend much on this thing and my heart skipped a beat when he said "hell yeah I'll sell it to you" asked what I'd give him for it, so I told him $800 cash.. he responded with "yeah I don't think so.. maybe $3500 would be more in the price range" i told him he was out of his mind because I was going to pull the motor and trash everything else. This thing is a death trap as it sits with the rusted welds on the frame, neck, etc. but he insists on riding it.

so what he wants me to do is rebuild the S&S carb, clean out the fuel and oil lines, replace the casing where the kicker is with the correct one, fix some wiring, change the tires, replace oil and fuel line, change the brake pads and front disc and he'll be on his way.. this bike will wind up in a grave yard somewhere rusting to sh&t!

oh well.. now onto my quest for finding the casing around the kick starter.

damnit man!
That is too bad for both of you.
He is in dreamland thinking that thing is worth $3500.
Most likely he just does not want you to get it.

As for your end of this bargain I can only hope he pays you well for the work that is going to be needed just to get this junk pile running.

New tires, new brake pads, clean the carb, clean/replace the fuel and oil lines, replace the kick start cover............ Wow!
That sounds like several hundred dollars unless you work for free.
In that case it will only be a couple hundred.
Then you have to get it started! That is going to be a chore and be sure not to damage your leg when you start kicking that thing.
Better yet....it's his bike so let him do the kick starting when you get it to that point.
If the kicker slips through and gives him a hyper extended knee, you will be able to buy it from him at that moment for fifty bucks! Ha-Ha!
Good luck with the project.
pg

Old 05-22-2012, 08:09 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

PG, i'm down to the front brake caliper and disc now on this thing however I cannot decipher what year this thing is.

http://s411.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=IMG_0039.jpg

Can you help identify sir?

By the way, rebuilt the S&S carb, tweaked it, changed all hoses (fuel and oil) flushed fuel system and oil system, ran a couple of wires for brake light and headlight, refilled with fresh oil and fuel, primed up the carb, rolled the kicker a couple of times to get a feel for the compression, (my a$$ is puckered at this point cause I knew she was gonna throw my 225lb butt over the handlebars) cracked the throttle a couple of times, gave her a good 225lb kick and she fired right up much to my disbelief. She sounds sooooooooooo good... My understanding is this is one of the best sounding motors HD ever put out and now I believe it. Still wish I could talk the pinhead into selling it to me so I could resurrect her fully.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:33 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

PG, i'm down to the front brake caliper and disc now on this thing however I cannot decipher what year this thing is.

By the way, rebuilt the S&S carb, tweaked it, changed all hoses (fuel and oil) flushed fuel system and oil system, ran a couple of wires for brake light and headlight, refilled with fresh oil and fuel, primed up the carb, rolled the kicker a couple of times to get a feel for the compression, (my a$$ is puckered at this point cause I knew she was gonna throw my 225lb butt over the handlebars) cracked the throttle a couple of times, gave her a good 225lb kick and she fired right up much to my disbelief. She sounds sooooooooooo good... My understanding is this is one of the best sounding motors HD ever put out and now I believe it. Still wish I could talk the pinhead into selling it to me so I could resurrect her fully.

To me the front caliper looks like a 1973 model to me, but I could be wrong.
The 1973 was the first year for a disc brake on front and a year by itself.
In 1974 the caliper was changed for 1974 and later, so a 1973 is a rare caliper. Again, I am not certain yours is 1973 but it looks like one to me.

You got the bike started a lot easier than I thought you would. Good work!
pg

Old 05-22-2012, 09:14 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That is a big twin caliper assembly.

Parts are available through your local dealer, J&P and other sources.

here is a link to a similar one:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/241-331

Old 05-23-2012, 01:26 AM
Can't Wait 2 Ride
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to hijack this thread but can anyone give me the part numbers regarding 1981 XLH Ironhead reference books. I'm interested in the service manual and parts catalog. Thanks.

BTW, best of luck UltraNutZ on finishing the rebuild. Don't give up .... there's still a chance your friend will change his mind.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:42 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

For 1979 to 1985 ...

99484-85 Service Manual
99451-85A Parts Catalog

Local bike shop, local HD Dealer, various eBay/internet sellers, J&P Cycles, etc.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:14 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by scottfisher
That is a big twin caliper assembly.

Parts are available through your local dealer, J&P and other sources.

here is a link to a similar one:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/241-331

Thanks Scott. I knew something did not look right about the caliper, but I had no idea it came off a big twin.
pg

Quick Reply: 67 XLCH help needed various areas