Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

just some questions on my old iron

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 03:11 AM
1980hdsporster
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I got that paper with the pistons, I did notice there was a clearance built into the piston, I have noticed that the skirt of the piston wont slip into the std bore, yet where the rings go it will. But sense I already have the pistons, they can just bore it to .020 over and hone the cylinders to fit the pistons thoe correct? I guess if I was more informed I may have gone with a diffrent over bore, well.prolly a .010. I know the cylinders need to atleast be taken to the .010, I just went with the .020 so I knew I had what I needed to.get it right. I already have the parts so I will have to.run with it, but before I get the maching work done is there anything I should know or do? I want to take the best rout with what I have now, cant return anything, I wanted to run kb pistons instead of the stockers heard good things about them lol.

Id also like to say thankyou to everyone who has given their advice and opions, its good to be able to bounce questions off people and learn from their experiences and knowledge

Old 06-29-2012, 05:12 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

It is s good idea to use an automotive machine shop that has experience with vintage vehicles, especially vintage motorcycles and IronHeads in particular. If you have several machine shops in the area i would go around to all of them and enquire, then choose.

Better yet, if you have a local indie mechanic that you can work with have him choose the machine shop and supervise their work. This is what i do.

Are you going to assemble and install the parts yourself?

Old 06-30-2012, 12:24 AM
1980hdsporster
6th Gear

I do have a machinist in mind, he came recommended from a local master harley mechanic that I have been working with, he wants me to pull my cylinders and heads off the bike and bring them to him to look them over, he agrees that the ones on the bike are still good he just thinks tje valve guides in the heads are leaking and thinks that eathier the rings in the front cylinder didnt seat right or that the orignal machine work wasnt done properly on it, I got the bew heads because it only coast me 236 for the pair and it was going to coast me 250 to do it all to mine, the new ones are 74 heads with everything new in them and done right, the cylinders and pistons were just because I was afraid that when I pulled it all apart that id find out that the front cylinder was out of round or something im hopeing not thoe but I am prepared. I am going to do the work myself as far as assembling the bike, I dont have the tools to gap the rings so im going to see if I can get someone who does and knows how to, to do it for me. O have done all the work on the bike so far by myself and o built it from a frame

Old 06-30-2012, 07:44 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

I have always found the rings already correctly gapped right out of the package. Hastings rings. To check them you just need a set of feeler gauges.

Congrats on all you have done so far. Sounds like you have a good plan.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:03 PM
1980hdsporster
6th Gear

Thank you, I have put alot of work into her, and thats what I figured about the rings, the kb pistons came with a good set of rings so thats what ill be useing this time around. If the rings are pre gaped then it has to mean that there is something,wrong with the machine work in the jugs althoe with the oil in the pipe I would think it would foul out plugs but it doesnt infact last I.cheeked plugs were perfect

Old 07-01-2012, 06:15 PM
1980hdsporster
6th Gear

Is there anyway that something in the lower end of the motor could be makeing the topend go bad?

Old 07-01-2012, 09:50 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

I have lost track of what was the original situation. Did you have the engine rebuilt then have things go bad? I am wondering what breakin procedures you may [or may not] have followed if this was the case.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:18 AM
1980hdsporster
6th Gear

When I thook the bike apart originally I replaced the primary chain and the tensioner (the tensioner was bent) then I went into the topend ( the reason I thook the bike apart, other then to change it to my tasts was because I was loseing compresion on the front cylinder) when I pulled it it apart the rings on the front were shot. The piston itself was to (around the wrist pin, &nd the small peice between the comp rings was broke) the cylinder wall was bamaged from the damage around the wrost pins. I got a new used set of cylinders with .020 pistons. And I jad to get new heads because the top end that was on the bike was a 71-E72 the jugs I got were the proper ones for the block which were off of a 1980, I pit new rings on the pistons and put the new to me, but used heads on, replaced every seal and gasket I came across.
When I broke the bike in I rode it easy, shifted at the proper times, from what I could tell I have no tach on the bike, after 50 miles or there abouts again no tach or speedo on the bike, (future projects) after the first few miles thoe I started to have the smoke out the pipes, alittle at fist but its continued to get worse, now oil is starting to show up in the front pipe but the smoke only occures on deceleration if I dont clutch the bike. But before the first oil change I had the bike at a friends and we ran a compression cheek I was only getting around 100 psi per cylinder but I figured I ran the cheek wrong, the bike runs fine, doesnt stall, holds idol, seems alittle lacking on power thoe, but other then the oil in pipes and smoke its fine, I pulled the plugs out today and they were fine, I tried to shine a light into the holes to see the walls, the fronts looks damaged but I could be looking at it funny or something. What is the best break in for the motor, if It was my screw up I dont want to repeat it with the new top end when it goes on. Shes my first harley so im learning my othe bikes are a 71 honda cb750 bobber I built and a 75 cb 750 chopper im currently building along with the 04 venox I have but this iron head was the bike I always wanted, thats why I built her the way I wanted her lol

Old 07-02-2012, 01:21 AM
1980hdsporster
6th Gear

Sorry about the spelling, I get on here with my phone and it laggs for some reason when im typeing on here

Old 07-02-2012, 08:22 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1980hdsporster
When I thook the bike apart originally I replaced the primary chain and the tensioner (the tensioner was bent)

then I went into the topend ( the reason I thook the bike apart, other then to change it to my tasts was because I was loseing compresion on the front cylinder) when I pulled it it apart the rings on the front were shot. The piston itself was to (around the wrist pin, &nd the small peice between the comp rings was broke) the cylinder wall was bamaged from the damage around the wrost pins.

I got a new used set of cylinders with .020 pistons. And I jad to get new heads because the top end that was on the bike was a 71-E72 the jugs I got were the proper ones for the block which were off of a 1980, I pit new rings on the pistons and put the new to me, but used heads on, replaced every seal and gasket I came across.

When I broke the bike in I rode it easy, shifted at the proper times, from what I could tell I have no tach on the bike,

after 50 miles or there abouts again no tach or speedo on the bike, (future projects) after the first few miles thoe I started to have the smoke out the pipes, alittle at fist but its continued to get worse, now oil is starting to show up in the front pipe but the smoke only occures on deceleration if I dont clutch the bike.

But before the first oil change I had the bike at a friends and we ran a compression cheek I was only getting around 100 psi per cylinder but I figured I ran the cheek wrong,

the bike runs fine, doesnt stall, holds idol, seems alittle lacking on power thoe, but other then the oil in pipes and smoke its fine, I pulled the plugs out today and they were fine, I tried to shine a light into the holes to see the walls, the fronts looks damaged but I could be looking at it funny or something.

What is the best break in for the motor, if It was my screw up I dont want to repeat it with the new top end when it goes on. Shes my first harley so im learning

my othe bikes are a 71 honda cb750 bobber I built and a 75 cb 750 chopper im currently building along with the 04 venox I have but this iron head was the bike I always wanted, thats why I built her the way I wanted her lol
Much easier to read your post if it is not one huge paragraph.

The other problem i am having here is that this HDForums is way too slow. It is the way they run the ads. Every time i do something i have to wait for 3 or 6 or 10 pics to load for the ads, and they are slow loading. I have lost patience.

It would be better if you post this on the IronHead forum at XLForum.net, here ...

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7