Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

New Owner - 1971 XLCH - Carb Issues & Build ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:17 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kizzletruck
Thanks! Looks like they are pretty inexpensive too.. Now to track down a front end, tank, and some fenders.. Anyone know what kind of tinwork 98 Ultra is running? Really love his fenders and what looks to be a Fat Bob tank.. The goal is to have a real classy looking bike where people step back and go "That's a SPORTSTER?!".. Not that I am put off by the look of Sportsters, I just think it would be real cool and different to do something like this. (I have no interest in trying to make money off the bike and am sure I will have plenty more into it than what it is worth)..
With all due respect, young man, the bike that you have is more than a SPORTSTER. The word 'sportster' causes people to jump to an image of a cute woman on a 2012 883 or a trendy young dude on a 48. They can't help it...it is marketing and advertising.

That's not what you have. Your bike is more than a Sportster...it has been around for over 40yrs. It has stories. It has been places. It has done stuff...with many riders, I'm sure. It is a Grey Beard. It will be cantankerous. It is set in it's ways. It will growl...It will BITE. It is something to be afraid of. It is something you will have to tame.

You have a '71 CH.

A kick only, left side shift...

Harley Davidson

IronHead

When you are standing on a busy street...surronded by Twinkies and BlockHeads, Wanna Be Bikers with Push-Button starts...all eyes will be on you as you prepare to start your ride...

....when it fires on the first kick you can look in the eyes of all those wanna bees and remind them...

You ride an IRONHEAD.

Make it yours.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:57 PM
kizzletruck
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scottfisher
With all due respect, young man, the bike that you have is more than a SPORTSTER. The word 'sportster' causes people to jump to an image of a cute woman on a 2012 883 or a trendy young dude on a 48. They can't help it...it is marketing and advertising.

That's not what you have. Your bike is more than a Sportster...it has been around for over 40yrs. It has stories. It has been places. It has done stuff...with many riders, I'm sure. It is a Grey Beard. It will be cantankerous. It is set in it's ways. It will growl...It will BITE. It is something to be afraid of. It is something you will have to tame.

You have a '71 CH.

A kick only, left side shift...

Harley Davidson

IronHead

When you are standing on a busy street...surronded by Twinkies and BlockHeads, Wanna Be Bikers with Push-Button starts...all eyes will be on you as you prepare to start your ride...

....when it fires on the first kick you can look in the eyes of all those wanna bees and remind them...

You ride an IRONHEAD.

Make it yours.
Scott, you could not have described how I feel about old Harley's any better. I was just thinking this very same thought this morning as I was on my 5 AM drive to work. How I sit in the garage and think about the stories this bike could tell. It has seen Vietnam, the Cold War, 70's fuel crisis, Stock market crashes, the Gulf War, The 80's. Lol. I mean, if a machine had a story about all the back roads it has ripped down, all of the close calls and times it sat lakeside or beach side overlooking the sunset on water. It just would amaze anyone and draw in anyone within hearing distance. THAT is the soul I feel when I get on an old Harley (or my old tractor - 1941 Case SC).. Just imagine the things these machines have seen and they are still going, loud and proud - with all of their defects, cruel attempts at customization, and ones still running on their last limb.. Old machines never die.

As I have stated before, I do not intend on chopping/bastardizing this bike. I want a real clean, real classy looking Sportster - full swept fenders, fat bob tanks, nice paint, good sounding exhaust, and a tall set of apes. Not looking to rat rod it or clone a Fatboy.. I just like the looks of a Fatboy front end.

Check out the new post I have with a video of the bike running.

Kenny

Old 03-03-2012, 05:25 PM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man, I need to check the forums more often.
Mine does get a lot of attention in a crowd. I'm sure more than a few hate what I started but there seems to be a large group that like it too. If only I can get myself back to work on it. It is back home again but I didn't work on it last winter and this one is almost over too. Why can't I seem to get started? Is it because it will still start and run? Maybe I've just gotten fat and lazy.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:38 PM
kizzletruck
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear you. I have a hard enough time getting stuff done between work, school, homework, and taking care of the house.. But I cannot wait to get this project done.. Usually it is more of a money issue than anything else. On a side note, Friday I got my 18" 1 1/4" internally drilled ape hangers from Jireh Cycles. Should be a great addition to the build... Can't wait to get this project under way!