Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Handle Bars

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 01:49 PM
grantb
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handle Bars

Hello,
I am wanting to get new bars for my 72 Ironhead. I dont know what the current bar is other than it is in between a mini-ape and a elk horn style.

I was just wanting to see what you guys recommend. I would like something that is close to the same height so I dont have to change cables and lines. Please let me know what you guys use and what you recommend.

Thank you,
Grant

Old 02-13-2012, 04:26 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

These handlebars are 1977/78 only. Apparently they are redesigned buckhorn to comply with USA gov't regulations. I am not familiar with the bars referred to as SpeedBars, but pics i have seen of those look similar to these. Someone else might know and comment.

Up until i got these last year i have always preferred buckhorn bars. These are far better IMO ...

Here are two more ideas you could consider as you replace the bars. These IMO are two excellent additions.

Note the spacer between the risers and the headlite bucket. I do not know the part name or number; i believe it may be a big twin part not a sportster part. But it makes more space up there making it much easier to re-wire etc etc ...

And here are the 2,1/2" pullback risers from J&P Cycles catalog. I got these several years ago; at the time about $60. They fit with the stock wire harness. They allow you to sit back a little more, and/or upright a little more - whatever a slightly more comfortable riding position. Again, allow more space up front for wires etc etc ...

All thgese with stock wires.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:19 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by grantb
Hello,
I am wanting to get new bars for my 72 Ironhead. I dont know what the current bar is other than it is in between a mini-ape and a elk horn style.

I was just wanting to see what you guys recommend. I would like something that is close to the same height so I dont have to change cables and lines. Please let me know what you guys use and what you recommend.

Thank you,
Grant
If you have the original 1972 handlebars on the bike then they are going to be called Buck Horn bars and they are two piece bars. A left bar and a right bar.

Additionally, you will have the enclosed throttle cable in the right side bar.
Replacements for the two piece handlebar are almost impossible to find today. other than from time to time some will show up on Ebay.
Post a pic of what you have and we can provide a better answer for you.
pg

Old 02-15-2012, 07:51 AM
The Doctor71
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by piniongear
Replacements for the two piece handlebar are almost impossible to find today. other than from time to time some will show up on Ebay.
PG, you're right, I seldom see 2 piece bars for our rides come up.

Of course, no sooner than that rolls off the lips..... I saw a pair come up yesterday at the other site in the WTB, WTS section --> http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...postcount=1466

Anyway, just a heads up.
regards.... Doc71