Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

First bike and customization

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 08:05 PM
ihb75
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First bike and customization

Hello,

I just picked up this '75 Ironhead, it's been rebuilt and is currently on a '94 Sportster rolling chassis. This is my first street motorcycle.

I want to create my own Bobberhead. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, I have worked on heavy equipment mechanics, bulldozers, excavators and skidsteers and my dirt bikes.

First things first, I'm going to pick up the HD Manual, should I just get the 1975, 1994 or both?

What's the best way to tackle this project? Should I remove the motor from the frame first and then work my way through disassembling the rest of the frame?

Are you legally allowed to install a hardtail extension without having to change insurance or anything like that?

Thanks for any advice. I am going to create a journal of this project for everyone to see.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:13 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Interesting. Occasionally guys ask about installing an IronHead engine in an Evo frame but i have not seen one before. I have heard that it requires significant frame modification as the engine is too tall for the frame.

So first thing is to confirm that it really is an IronHead engine in an Evo frame.

I wonder if it is an Harley Davidson frame or after market?

What is the VIN? - it will be on the frame, at the steering head. It is a standard modern VIN something like 1HD1CAH1nnnXYnnnnnn with various digits/letters.

What is the engine number? - it will be on the right side engine case immediately below the V of the cylinders. For 1975 it should be XXnnnnnH5. XX should be 3A, 4A, 4D, 2G, 7F or 4E. nnnnn is the serial number.

Google Harley Davidson VIN for details.

Last edited by IronMick; 02-14-2012 at 05:55 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-13-2012, 01:55 PM
ihb75
Intermediate

Thanks IronMick. I have identified that the motor begins with 4A.

The right side of the frame has this: ASD03

The left side of the frame has this, it's worn out but: AS D03F94600410211

Old 02-13-2012, 04:43 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

4A means it is an XLCH engine, originally kick start only - no electric start.

I am not familiar with modern frame/VIN numbers. I believe they are the same as what has been used since 1981, and follow the pattern i posted above. I suggest you ensure you have the numbers as accurately as possible, and that you research them thoroughly before doing anything with the bike.

You must have proper title etc documents else the frame and bike are worthless. There was a case on another forum just last year where a member, out of the blue, had his bike including the 1000s of $s of improvements he had made, confiscated and returned to a previous owner. This stuff is not to be taken lightly.

Anyway, do a Google search for Harley VIN; do similar searches for the VIN that you have. Be sure it mates up with whatever paper work you have; and that both the local police and the local licence bureau approve.

It may very well be a perfectly legal after market frame, but you need to know with absolute certainty.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:11 AM
dirty78ironhead
Tourer

Can't tell really from the pick but that frame doesn't look like a 94. Again just thinking here not sure but it seams like it would be a ton of work to put an older motor in a newer frame. That being said if it is a older frame its easy to hardtail. I am sure if you post some more pics guys on here will be able to tell u what you got.
T-Ron

Old 02-14-2012, 02:18 PM
ihb75
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IronMick
Anyway, do a Google search for Harley VIN; do similar searches for the VIN that you have. Be sure it mates up with whatever paper work you have; and that both the local police and the local licence bureau approve.

It may very well be a perfectly legal after market frame, but you need to know with absolute certainty.
Mick, I got the VIN now and used the VIN Decoder at Motoverse dot com.

My VIN is, ASD03F94600410211

The results from the decoder produced this information:

I could not find an exact match for this VIN in my database.
Please verify that the VIN you entered is valid. Read below for additional information about vehicle identification numbers and their validity.
and

VIN:ASD03F94600410211Check sum validation failed
World region:Africa
Year:1980
Does this mean it is an after market frame?

I will get more pictures for you guys as soon as possible, just trying to install better lights in the barn.

Thanks.

edit: forgot to add, the paperwork is matched up with the numbers on the frame.

2nd edit: just tried another website, http://www.bigboyzheadporting.com/vin.htm this place suggests the VIN is nternational and made by Harley. Also suggests to check for typos, but everything is entered correctly according to the documents and numbers on the frame.

Last edited by ihb75; 02-14-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:01 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

Go to this site. It is the very well known www.Sportster.org site, an excellent source of info on Sportsters for many years. This page has the Harley Davidson VIN numbers ...

http://www.sportster.org/tech/sports...-designations/

The VIN that you have is not a Harley Davidson number.

You might also post at this other IronHead forum ...

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)

Wherever you post closeup pics of various parts of the frame are important, especially the steering head area and all frame parts under the seat that may have various codes stamped into the frame.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:03 PM
ihb75
Intermediate

Thanks Mick, I will get on those sites asap. Here are some better pics for the time being. I will wipe the frame down and search for any codes.

It looks like the kick start is underneath the oil tank and currently bolted. I want to remove the electric starter. I'm going to go continue to look for any codes on the frame and plan out how to dismantle the electrical system.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:00 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

I am not a VIN expert but the VIN number on the engine looks like an original IronHead VIN for a kick-only 1975 XLCH.

The frame is not a 1994. Every pic shows that it is an IronHead frame. It is 1973 to 1978. The dual disk front end is 1978 to 1983. It may have been a project bike, an accident victim, whatever, and re-titled in 1994.

The 4th pic shows a scoop with a large hole front of frame bar at the steering head. I do not recognize that but it may be an earlier Sportster frame that i have not seen.

Pic 5: The engine mount between the cylinders hanging from the bar is previous to 1977. The dent above it looks home made, probably to mount a foreign fuel tank.

The battery is an XLH [electric start] battery, large to have enough juice to power the electric start. The XLCH battery is small.

The rear brake rod was used up to 1974. 75-on uses a cable.

I would like to see a clear closeup of the VIN area of the frame [pic 4]. You can PM it to me if you do not want to make it public.

I would not get rid of the electric start. Be certain to thoroughly research Sportster Knee and Sportster KickStarting. Unless you already know what you are getting into. At least keep it for a year or so, until you have the thing perfectly in tune. Consider a Mikuni VM38 carb if you want a kicker.

There are VIN and frame experts on the other forum that i referenced in a previous post.

You need these two manuals ...
99451-78B Parts Catalog, Sportster, 1954 - 1978
99484-78 Service Manual, 1970 to 1978

Buy at any of - local bike shop, eBay, J&P Cycles, HD dealer, many others. I buy as much as i can from my local indie bike shop.

Last edited by IronMick; 02-15-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:30 PM
ihb75
Intermediate

Some updates. The camera I had today is ****, so sorry for the quality.

I'm getting the frame and fenders/gas tank painted this week. I'm trying to remove the forks from the steering column. Can it come off all together or must I strip each fork separately?

This pic is very blurry but under the steering column you can see a steering guard that has been welded on. Does it appear that these forks are from another bike?

Quick Reply: First bike and customization