Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Sporty died

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 05:18 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

You could take that to an auto electric shop for testing and possible repair. They will put it on a growler to test. In the old days they would repair. Usually now they sell you a new armature, usually a made overseas item that is perhaps not very good. The ACCEL products are good.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Krazyshark
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My indie shop stocks a lot of accel products (like my new pinion gear). I bid on a working, used (and ugly) generator on ebay which ends tomorrow, if I don't win that I will head down to the shop and ask about the armature.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:21 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

I never bid on anything on eBay before the last 60 seconds of the auction. Bidding ahead of time merely ups the price you or someone else has to pay. The next guy is always willing to bid .50 or $1 more.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:35 PM
Oldskoolbob
6th Gear

I would get a new switch as you might make a small pain in the *** turn into a fried regulator...seen it happen!

Old 03-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Oldskoolbob
6th Gear

On the other hand you could spray it out with wd40 and click the switch on and off as you do to get it a clean connection.....that stuff is great on switches and electrical connections and might save ya some dough and time...worth a try!!

Old 03-24-2012, 07:55 AM
98glider
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

There is a generater from cyclelectric that has the regulater and gen built together maybe you can check there website I heard they are very good.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Krazyshark
Cruiser

I would love to have that cycle electric gen / reg combo with its lifetime warranty and "newness" but its upwards of $300. I won my ebay auction, got a working generator off a 77 for $45 + $12 shipping. Looks beat up but I can deal with that and paint it later, costs less than a new Armature and brushes.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:03 AM
98glider
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah I know but they are real good and you don't have to polarize the gen everytime there is a problem. keep checking on ebay and get one if one comes up. had mine on my bike now 5yrs no problems. Sometimes when you are looking for something for the bike you never find it in the time that you need it. It is riding season now in NJ so good luck with it

Old 03-26-2012, 07:27 PM
dirty78ironhead
Tourer

I am saving up for the alternator conversion. Cost about the same as the cycle electric piece. Just food for thought. I went thru the whole not charging dead battery deal very frustrating indeed. I think I put in 3 batterys, 2 voltage regs and 2 gennys before I was charging properly. I made the mistake of buying cheap stuff and paid the price ..should have spent the money got a good part and been done oh well its only money can't take it with you!
T-Ron

Old 03-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Krazyshark
Cruiser

That alternator conversion is an attractive though expensive item. My bike is also 90% stock, so part of me also appreciates the standard look of the big generator.

I got my ebay generator in the mail today. After fitting my drive gear on it I installed and polarized the gen and did the basic voltage test. Battery voltage did rise, but only by a tiny bit (would go from 12.0v at idle to (the highest) 12.8v @ 2300 rpm. I then tested the output of the generator which was 18.5a @2000 rpm. Old gen had no rise in voltage at all and output was 7.6a. At least the generator is pulling its weight, I think its time to look at regulators. From what I understand the 78 came with an electronic reg, in 79 my father replaced it with a delco mechanical one along with a new generator to resolve charging issues. Do you guys have any recommendations?

My battery has been discharged fully twice, I got it brand new from Harley in October. It holds its charge at 12.2 volts with no issue, even after a few test starts to sort out this charging issue. Should I suspect the battery? Fluid levels are all fine but I never got into the hydrometer / gravity readings.

Quick Reply: Sporty died