Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Internal vs. external throttle control

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 08:09 AM
Iron Man73
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internal vs. external throttle control

Looking for some info on the throttle controls for a 1973 ironhead. Does anyone know if this year(stock) came with an internal control? Everything I can find out so far does not tell me exactly what control was used on stock bike.
Thanks!

Old 02-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Krazyshark
Cruiser

As far as I know, they all have a right handed throttle control with a cable / housing that runs on the outside of the bike (not routed through the handlebars).

What exactly do you mean by internal or external throttle control?

Old 02-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Iron Man73
Novice

Thanks for your response. The manual I have shows that 72/73 have righthand internal (inside the handle bar) throttle cable (like a piano wire). All of the moving componets (the slide) are inside the bar. They also are what is called a "dead man" throttle as there is no return action on the throttle...ie if you don't turn it off is stays on.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Krazyshark
Cruiser

Interesting, my 78 has a drum type throttle (external). I always thought the return of the throttle was due to the spring on the throttle control on the carburetor.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:01 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iron Man73
Thanks for your response. The manual I have shows that 72/73 have righthand internal (inside the handle bar) throttle cable (like a piano wire). All of the moving componets (the slide) are inside the bar. They also are what is called a "dead man" throttle as there is no return action on the throttle...ie if you don't turn it off is stays on.

this info is correct and the appropriate carb is the bendix

Old 02-03-2012, 07:02 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain

and welcome to the forum Iron Man
I'm also from Ontario

Old 02-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Iron Man73
Novice

Hi everyone,

I am a new member and hope to have some input from other readers in the rebuilding of an ironhead as I go along. I picked up a 73 that had been sitting in a barn for the last 20 years that is in need of a frame up re-build. For the most part she is complete with mostly all orginal parts. Over the last couple of months I have been gathering info on where to purchase after market part and have made a trip down to Toronto to a really cool bike shop owned by a real cool guy nameed Jason Parker(www.jasonparksracing.com). Take a look...very cool stuff.

The 73 ironhead is for the most part in pretty good shape but has a lot of surface wear that I will need to take to the frame and totally redo. I am going to start with the motor and split the casings re-building from the bottom up. Going to try to keep it as much as "stock" as I can but there are a few things that I will be changing. The first thing is to drive a few more ponies from motor by changing the pistons and the cam. A few other minor changes are going to be to the counter sprocket by increase by 1 or maybe 2 teeth. This will give me that "corner to corner" pull and reduce the top end speed. I am not looking to go faster....just trying to pull my arms out of the sockets.

Currently the bike had a pair of drag bars on it and I want to go back to more factory buck horn style bars hence the question about the internal throttle controls vs the external cable version. For me the less things hanging on the bars the cleaner the look. Also....I like the feel of the deadman throttle. (no guts...no glory). One of the other major changes to make will be to incorporate an electric start as she is a XL kick only. This presents some additional problems with clucth basket change, outer casing change, oil tank, battery/platform, wiring and of course starter and I am sure there will be some things pertaining to the incorporating a starter that I have not foreseen at this point. This change is a very large expense if I go to new after market products so I am trying to find some used parts. IF YOU HAVE ANY FOR SALE PLEASE LET ME KNOW...MUCH APPRECIATED!

As I mentioned I am starting to put together a list of parts I will be needing and seem to be continually finding most of what I need from J&P Cycle and was wondering if others have found another source for after market parts. They do seem to have almost everything but as a Canuck the shipping and tax at the boarder is somewhat of a deterant.

I hope to contribute more to this forum with pics as I go along. Input and suggestions are always appreciated. Will be in touch with anyone that wants to share infor and ideas "off line".
Thanks!

Old 02-04-2012, 08:52 AM
scottfisher
Road Captain

sounds like an xlch. the starter switch at your foot makes it a real man's bike. When it is tuned, you have figured out the routine to starting it and it is a one kick bike in a crowd...there is no better feeling.

why change that??

there is a bike show and swap coming up in march in TO. When I built mine I found a lot of parts at the meets...it is not as easy now (it was over 20yrs ago for me) you have to dig a little deeper.
Ebay is good for parts too
I also use J&P...with the dollar at par and ever stronger at times it makes the prices really good compared to local sources...but, I still like to shop local and support the neighbours.
watch for quality name brand parts...it is worth the extra.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Iron Man73
Novice

Thanks for the suggestion of keeping it a kicker. This of course is still on the table given the cost of putting in a starter plus all the changes that need to be done. There is a swap meet (kinda) at the London bike show next weekend so I will take a look around there to see if there are any parts to be had.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:08 AM
GA Ironhead
Cruiser

External throttle control started in '74.

Quick Reply: Internal vs. external throttle control