Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

75 Ironhead Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 09:06 AM
bmassarani
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot guys - while I do this I want to make sure I understand the problem and not just fix it. I do see a filter on the petcock as well, so I am running 2 filters, but my gas tank is pretty nasty inside. I guess when I clean the carb out my next step is to clean the tank out too.

I'm not a big fan of the S&S, but that's what was on it when I got it so I'll have to make due for now.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:09 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

I have always taken my tanks to an auto radiator shop to be cleaned and lined. Typically cost is about $100. You can do it yourself for less. Use either RedKote or POR. Do not use Kreme.

I do not have direct experience with the two-filters problem; only have heard that other guys have had a fuel flow problem with two.

Certainly if the in-line filter is not a motorcycle specific filter it could cause a problem. You have to be certain that it is not intended for a fuel system that involves a fuel pump as it will not flow well on these bikes; must be for a gravity flow fuel system.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:31 PM
shepdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the best option is allways to buy a new tank, they can be bought for what they want to line them, unless you want some huge tank, i buy my filters from summit racing, looks just like the one you have in your pic, it comes aprt so the filter can be changed, stupid question but is the filter goin the right way?

Old 11-21-2011, 07:08 PM
bmassarani
Intermediate

I'm going to look at getting a new tank with a sight gauge since this bike doesn't have a low fuel light (is that normal for an Ironhead?).

I did take the in-line filter apart, clean it, and verified it's going the right way. I'll also order replacement filters from summit racing to be safe.

I thought this bike did have a fuel pump of sorts, as (according to the service manual) there is a fuel pump adjustment screw on the carb (furthest right screw).

Old 11-21-2011, 09:22 PM
shepdog
Tourer

no fuel pump that i know of, maybe a accelerator pump? gives a extra shot of fuel when throttle is turned, but like i said i dont know much about the s&s ,as far as the fuel light none of the 3 i have had a 83,early 84 and now a late 84,none has had anything , just when i hit reserve i had better be looking for a gas station lol,

Old 11-21-2011, 09:26 PM
shepdog
Tourer

if the tank doesnt leak take it to a radiator shop and see if they can clean it out maybe with steam, i dont like using sealer, would much rather buy a tank, just askin for trouble down the road, and if it isnt leaking why seal it? if they dont get it perfectly clean when they seal it the rust and crap is still in the tank just under the sealer

Old 11-21-2011, 09:27 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

No IronHead has a fuel gauge. We use the odometer. Set it to zero when you fill up. Get to know how many miles you can go before reserve. Mine gets 12+ miles per liter in summer, 10+ in Winter. The + applies to hiway riding at moderate speeds.

No fuel pump on any IronHead. The thing on the carb is an accelerator pump. When you twist the throttle it squirts a shot of fuel into the venturi. Remove the air cleaner so that you can see right into the venturi, twist the throttle, you will see the stream of fuel. It only works on sudden twists - twist slowly and nothing happens [because it is not needed anyway].

Old 11-22-2011, 01:17 PM
bmassarani
Intermediate

awesome guys - thanks for the explanation.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:21 PM
bmassarani
Intermediate

Finally got time to open the carb and I didn't see anything that stood out as an issue. Aside from the picture below there was a little bit of gasoline in the bottom, so I poured that out. Below is what I see right after I removed the gas. I checked the float and it seems to move easily... anything standing out in the picture below?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67696148@N04/6489244729/http://www.flickr.com/photos/67696148@N04/6489244729/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/67696148@N04/, on Flickr

Old 12-10-2011, 07:04 PM
bmassarani
Intermediate

I've cleaned up the carb and made sure that gasoline is flowing into the reservoir and that the float is going up and down.

Bike is still turning over and spark plugs are still passing a spark.

Any further ideas?

Quick Reply: 75 Ironhead Starting Issue