Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Mikuni VM38 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 05:09 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Krazyshark
So the petcock issue "solved" itself in the malfunction of the valve. It was leaking fuel ever so slowly when in the off position, when I took it apart I found a sizeable tear in the rubber seal. Does anyone have any recommendations on a petcock style? I have had two "oem replacements" crap out on my and I'm not even riding the bike yet.

As far as the throttle cable goes, I filed it down slightly and got it through the hole with a punch and hammer. Major hiccup though is that the end of the sheathing is not threaded, causing the condition you see pictured. Also, when I hold the cable in place the throttle will only lift the slide a bit less than half way.

Well, that picture prompts me to say the next thing you need to do is take the threaded adjuster located next to the cable elbow at the top f the carb, and adjust it out until the end of the housing is seated fully intoi the throttle grip you just have shown in the pic.
After that....... How far does the slide open now?
pg

Old 11-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Krazyshark
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The metal bushing that terminates the housing does not fit in the threaded hole, should I still adjust the cable until its tight up against throttle grip? I sent an email to Chad at Sudco who I have asked a few questions to so I know its the right cable.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:26 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

The metal bushing that terminates the housing does not fit in the threaded hole, should I still adjust the cable until its tight up against throttle grip? I sent an email to Chad at Sudco who I have asked a few questions to so I know its the right cable.
The ferrule on each end of the throttle cable housing needs to seat fully in the elbow and throttle grip respectively.
Chances are very good that you do not have the correct cable.
Using the elbow requires the inner cable be longer than normal (without the elbow) or else the other choice is a shorter housing.
You can make the housing shorter by screwing the adjuster together.
I cannot state it any other way
But you need a tight connection of the housing starting at the top of the carb all the way to the twist grip.
Then the inner cable slides inside the housing.
That threaded adjuster is there to allow you to make the housing longer or make it shorter, depending what you need.
I hope that makes sense to you.
pg

Old 11-22-2011, 09:02 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

So the petcock issue "solved" itself in the malfunction of the valve. It was leaking fuel ever so slowly when in the off position, when I took it apart I found a sizeable tear in the rubber seal. Does anyone have any recommendations on a petcock style? I have had two "oem replacements" crap out on my and I'm not even riding the bike yet.
Get a Pingel. Best petcock out there. I've had trouble with the cheap replacements too. I bought a Custom Chrome brand once and found out that it had been machined wrong. It never would work. That 8 year old kid who built it must have been too young to read the blueprint.

Carl

Old 11-29-2011, 04:14 PM
Krazyshark
Cruiser

So the mikuni has been working very well. Did my first fill up and got 38 miles per gallon, was it too much to expect it in the 50's? I definitely was enjoying myself seeing what the ironhead could do as far as excelleration and throttle response, gonna take this next tank real easy and see what kind of MPG I get.

Other than that it runs like a beast. A question about the K&N aircleaner / filter element. With it being exposed does that mean it will suck in water if I ride in the rain?

Old 11-29-2011, 04:40 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

So the mikuni has been working very well. Did my first fill up and got 38 miles per gallon, was it too much to expect it in the 50's? I definitely was enjoying myself seeing what the ironhead could do as far as excelleration and throttle response, gonna take this next tank real easy and see what kind of MPG I get.

Other than that it runs like a beast. A question about the K&N aircleaner / filter element. With it being exposed does that mean it will suck in water if I ride in the rain?
I would guess the bike starts easily now?
As far as the mileage, it depends on a great extent how you are riding.
Giving it a lot of throttle taking off in traffic will eat gas.
But as a comparison...... mine gets around 41 mpg at best. So I would say you are right where you should expect to be mileage wise.

I would not be too concerned about the air filter getting soaked.
It is a paper element so expect it to get a bit wet but it will again dry out quickly as you ride because of the wind hitting it.
Man, a rain storm that heavy (to soak the filter) will find me sitting under an overpass till it lets up!
pg

Old 11-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Krazyshark
Cruiser

The bike starts very easily, been using the "choke" circuit to start it and warm it up. Thanks! Gonna take a cruise saturday and will be sure to make provisions to stop for gas. My last bike had a 4.8 gal tank, I would fill it every 250 miles! Nowhere near as fun as the Ironhead though.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:55 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

I heard you there.
75 miles is not very far and that is about you are going to be able to do between gas stations.
Ask me how I know that and how many 'lessons' I have had.
There are some places (like West Texas) where I will not take the Sportster because a lot of that country is over 100 miles between stations and it ain't gonna make that!

I am glad to hear the bike starts easily.
On another forum I have been helping a member with his VM38 and he recently sent it to me.
I took it apart and noticed the large letter stamping across the enrichment lever saying 'CHOKE'.
So I told Ben I can no longer argue with anyone regarding the enrichment lever not being a choke.
First time I have ever seen that and I can only guess Mikuni decided to just stamp 'choke' on the lever so people are not confused and push it down thinking they have choked it to start.
pg

Old 11-29-2011, 05:41 PM
Krazyshark
Cruiser

Mine also says choke on the little handle. Haven't had to do anything besides set the idle on it. We'll see how it starts when the 20 degree mornings roll around, thinking I'll have to take the battery inside to succeed. So far its been unseasonably warm here in southern New Jersey.

My Dad got the bike new in AZ and said when he rode it to San Diego he packed two 1 gal gas cans hanging over each side in his dufflebag to make it. Where I live and ride I am no farther than 15 miles from a gas station, and in some places very close to me there are many gas stations per mile.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:10 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Oh yeah, I remember those days of carrying cans with me.
It was the 1973-74 gas crisis and we were lucky to find any station with gas in the tanks.
I had 2 one gallon cans strapped to the sissy bar with bungie cords. What a pain in the *** those days were!

When the temp hits 50°F your Mikuni should still start your bike like this......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IROxfHFMJ6o

pg

Quick Reply: Mikuni VM38 Questions