Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

'79 Sportster Seals/O-Rings issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 04:03 PM
cikos1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '79 Sportster Seals/O-Rings issue

Hello all!

I'm hoping someone can help me out with answering a question of mine.
I'm building a '79 sportster (basket case) and I think I'm missing an o-ring/seal on the bottom end of the chrome fork tube that contains the spring and shock abosrber, and goes into the fork slider.

At the bottom of the fork tube, there is an endcap that's pushed up against the tube, and there's about about an 1/8 inch gap, which looks like it should hold an o-ring/seal. I ordered a front fork seal kit for the bike, and it doesn't contain the seal that I'm assuming should go on the fork. Is there supposed to be a seal in this location that I'm talking about, or is it left with an exposed gap?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this post. I'm really excited about getting this bike built, and I can use all the help I can get.

Thanks again!

Old 11-08-2011, 06:40 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

You need to get a copy of the factory parts catalog part number 99451-85A. Also the factory service manual 99484-85. These are available from any HD dealership, any indie motorcycle shop that services Harleys, any catalog company such as J&P Cycles etc, and various eBay sellers. Just put the part numbers into the Google search or the eBay search and you will find them.

I have had forks apart a few times but i cannot tell from your description what parts you are referring to. Better if you can post some pics.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:50 PM
cikos1
Cruiser

Here's a picture I took from the Clymer manual I purchased. I purchased a seal kit from J&P Cycles, and it didn't come with what I think may be necessary (which makes me believe that I may be wrong in assuming there should be an extra seal).

I thought that it may be #14, but I figured out that that seal goes into the fork slider.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:54 PM
cikos1
Cruiser

Here's a picture of the fork tube with #12 slid into the fork tube..

Old 11-08-2011, 06:55 PM
cikos1
Cruiser

I'm also wondering if the shock absorber goes into the fork tube prior to putting in the spring or after.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:35 AM
cikos1
Cruiser

I researched and found out that the spring goes on top of the shock absorber. Thanks IronMick for helping me out.

Does the Fork Tube have to be fully assembled before installing it into the steering column (triple clamp)? The parts I have have been powder coated, and the fork tube cap would have to sit on top of the clamp and then connect to the fork tube. Would I have to remove the layer of powder coat around the tapered hole in order to make the fork tube fit with the cap already on it?

Old 11-09-2011, 02:59 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

The fork tube slides up into the taper, then the cap is installed; tightening the cap pulls the tube up into the taper.

I am uncertain about the powder coat on the tubes. I would think that the tubes would no longer seal at the fork seal? but i do not know. Anyway, i also do not kinow if the powder coat must be removed at the top. I would try without removing it. Perhaps it will work. Just may not go up as far.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:21 PM
shepdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hope you didnt powder coat the tubes, the bushing seals would not fit anymore much less seal, i would say your buyin new tubes , the powder coat will never hold up even if you did get them to go together, if you just did the tree i wouldnt worrie about it just get the seated in the taper and tighten

Old 11-10-2011, 10:35 AM
cikos1
Cruiser

The tubes have been powder coated, but the old seals are in place and there isn't any powder coat on that top sectin, and I'm planning on replacing them. The fork tube fits into the fork slider quite nicely.

Alot of the parts that have been powder coated, I had to go back and chase the thread with a tap. I have access to a machine shop, and I've already had to ream out some of the holes. So far, everything is coming together nicely.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Chunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cikos1
I researched and found out that the spring goes on top of the shock absorber. Thanks IronMick for helping me out.

Does the Fork Tube have to be fully assembled before installing it into the steering column (triple clamp)? The parts I have have been powder coated, and the fork tube cap would have to sit on top of the clamp and then connect to the fork tube. Would I have to remove the layer of powder coat around the tapered hole in order to make the fork tube fit with the cap already on it?

Alright then got the rest figured out? Cool! The triple trees are nothing more than a clamp. So, get your fork tubes & legs into position (spread those clamps if ya gotta--just enough) & tighten it all up.

It all comes apart for your ease. ya can put it all back together at your ease.

Just don't add the oil to soon--LOL

Quick Reply: '79 Sportster Seals/O-Rings issue