Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Decaffinated the Ironhead...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 09:22 AM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 648 Likes on 232 Posts
Default Decaffinated the Ironhead...

I decided to go back to the "classic" look after having my bike as a mild cafe' for about 2 years. I bought a new (to me) seat on eBay two weeks ago, and thought it would go well with the vintage look.

Here's what the bike looked like last weekend...

Here it is with the seat, fairing, and tank removed, rear shocks replaced with the shorter stockers, chrome chain guard installed.

Here it is with the fork brace and cafe' fender removed, old full fender installed, chrome gauge covers installed, and different tank mounted.

Here it is ready to ride...seat installed, single round mirror installed, chrome air cleaner cover and insert swapped out, all shined up.

This weekend, I did a few more things to tidy it up...

I replaced the Nightrod handlebars with some old 883 bars I had in the shed. They're more narrow and have a lot more pullback.

I also reversed the risers so the gage mount is in the rear, which pulls the tach and speedo lower and farther back. Makes the front end look a little cleaner and more streamlined.

Then, I replaced the flat silver rear fender struts with chrome ones.

And last, I polished up the old chrome battery box and put it back on.

Then, I went riding...It was a beautiful fall day here in North Alabama, temps in the upper 60's. I took off in the early afternoon and rode 3 or 4 hours, covering close to 100 miles. The plan was to take my camera and pick some country roads I'd never ridden before and just see where they went, so I stopped a few times for pics and to look around, and just enjoyed the scenery while I rode.

Starting with a full tank (and a Sun Drop), I rode through various coves here in the Appalachian foothills on winding roads that were a blast. The smells of fall were everywhere - harvested cornfields, dry leaves, cotton fields, and the occasional wood fire from the fireplace of an old farm house. The old waffle iron ran perfectly, never skipping a beat. Pure motorcycling at its best!

Them old cotton fields back home...

Old 1870's schoolhouse.

That long, lonesome highway.

Stylin' and profilin'.

At an overlook on the way home.

The road up the mountain to my house, sun getting low.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Krazyshark
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Super clean bike, looks like you rolled it out of the showroom. I am so jealous, I can't wait to have my Sporty running reliably. Great photos as well, I smell a series coming on! I will be sure to take similar bike journey photos once my carb issues are all settled.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:32 PM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 648 Likes on 232 Posts

Good luck on your bike!

I went for a nice ride this afternoon and took a few more pics. Winter's coming fast and I want to squeeze in all the warmer riding I can.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:33 PM
bmassarani
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice!

Old 10-31-2011, 06:49 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Much better!!
Classic lines are back.