Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Main jet adjustment??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011 | 07:50 PM
nwpaironhead
|
Cruiser
Red face Main jet adjustment??

Hello all! Been a while since I've posted and alot has changed! I am NOT worried about the garage onset of cold weather! I am now a resident of sunny south Carolina and am finally settled in and preparing to take ole blue for a ride!! I was able to put a couple miles on her last year, but this summer was spent moving. In preperation for firing her up, i adjusted my push rods, set my points. Charged the battery, put it on and polarized the genny. I had messed with the genny carb some before putting her up last year so I know she's.not where she needs to be so I would like to start at a good baseline adjustment. It is a 38 mm. Bendix with an adjustable main. I set the low speed circuit by turning in the idle adj screw (closest to the intake ) all the way in then backed it out 11/2 turns. Where do i start with the high speed circuit adjustment?? Any input would be great! Thanks!!

Old 10-02-2011 | 09:04 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain

same; screw it all the way in then back it out 1 1/2 turns.

Old 10-03-2011 | 06:24 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by nwpaironhead
Hello all! Been a while since I've posted and alot has changed! I am NOT worried about the garage onset of cold weather! I am now a resident of sunny south Carolina and am finally settled in and preparing to take ole blue for a ride!! I was able to put a couple miles on her last year, but this summer was spent moving. In preperation for firing her up, i adjusted my push rods, set my points. Charged the battery, put it on and polarized the genny. I had messed with the genny carb some before putting her up last year so I know she's.not where she needs to be so I would like to start at a good baseline adjustment. It is a 38 mm. Bendix with an adjustable main. I set the low speed circuit by turning in the idle adj screw (closest to the intake ) all the way in then backed it out 11/2 turns. Where do i start with the high speed circuit adjustment?? Any input would be great! Thanks!!
Actually, it is a bit different procedure than what you have done.
To begin............. close the low speed needle, then unscrew it one full turn.
Close the high speed needle, then unscrew it approx four full turns.

Start the engine and warm up.
Adjust the mixture screw (low speed needle) until you obtain the fastest idle speed.
Then set the idle speed to normal (900 to 1000 rpm)

Now take it out on the road.
Run it up through the first or second gear to 4500 rpm or higher.
An over rich condition responds by breaking up (running rough) at high rpm.
Lean it out by turning in the high speed mixture screw 1/2 turn at a time.
When the engine pulls strong without breaking up you have it adjusted correctly.

Note that you may have to readjust the low speed mixture one more time after getting the high speed correct.
pg

Old 10-03-2011 | 11:11 AM
nwpaironhead
|
Cruiser

Oh! Ok! Great! Thank you guys so much! I'll give her a whirl tomorrow night and let you guys know how things turn out! Pinion! How ya been? !

Old 10-22-2011 | 06:27 PM
nwpaironhead
|
Cruiser
Talking it's ALIIIVE

Well guys, thanks again! ! After the expert advice given here, and reviews of themeeting lotsa pressure thread from a while back ....a couple kicks and down the road we went! Runs like a top! I love these ole ironheads!!!!

Old 10-22-2011 | 08:57 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Glad to hear you have it running like a top!
Always good to hear another ironhead is rolling down the highway again.
pg