Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Cleaning metal particles out of engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:19 PM
Ironkidzsled
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cleaning metal particles out of engine

Anyone have any cleaning tips or techniques I could use to clean metal particles out of my motor?

Old 07-01-2011, 07:41 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

If there is any possibility of large parts like these ...

... the engine will have to be completely stripped down, the cases split, and the crank pressed out. These "particles" are part of the carnage from this ...

If you just want to clean out tiny stuff then you can use a drill pump ...

Remove the top end [heads and cylinders], input hose in a can of kerosene, aim the output hose into the case, let it all drain out thru this ...

If it is a not serious situation and you just want to clean up, i would clean the oil tank with kerosene. Then change the oil, ride, repeat once.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:04 AM
Ironkidzsled
Cruiser

Yeah its serious...Very much like this situation in the pictures above. Only a little worse. Kerosene and an electric drill sounds kinda like a bad idea but ill give it a try. Wouldn't be the first fire I've had in my shop anyway. What are the chances pieces of metal made their way into the tranny? Splitting the cases and pushing out the crank doesn't sound all that bad (possibly due to my ignorance) On a 1 to 10 how difficult is it for a shade tree mech?

Old 07-06-2011, 05:39 AM
shepdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea kerosene isnt going to help you,if you have a factory sevice manual, and have done engines before it can be done, but i dont know your level of mechanical ability, as far as the trans goes thats the easy part yes the trans has to come out that will be the first thing you pull, maybe check around before you start there are still some older indie shops that still know how to work on these machines,there are a couple of things inside that you cant do without help(crank truing) its real easy to turn one of these motors into a pile of spare parts between the books and the internet you can do it just go slow and take LOTS of notes

Old 07-06-2011, 06:22 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironkidzsled
Yeah its serious...Very much like this situation in the pictures above. Only a little worse ...
As with my engine the cases will have to be split and the crank pressed out. In my case there were big chunks of piston that did not come out until the crank was pressed out.

This is about the most serious dismantle/rebuild you can do to one of these engines. It is not something that a shade tree mechanic would usually do. But it can be done.

I would not do it myself as there are shops around here with experts. What i did was dismantle everything down to the bottom end, including removing the trans and clutch. Then it cost about $500 at the shop to have the cases split, crank pressed out, everything cleaned up, some new parts [seals etc], put back together including install of the clutch and trans [which i did not want to do myself]. About 5 hours of shop time plus parts.

First you need the factory parts catalog 99451-?? and the factory service manual 99484-??. The ?? is either 78 or 85 depending on the year of your bike.

Do you have a press? If not one can be built. I can post a link to a home made press if you need it.

Let us know what you are going to do and we wil provide more help.

Post detailed pics!

Old 07-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Ironkidzsled
Cruiser

Well today took the cylinders to a machine shop to get them bored out for the new 050 pistons I bought. Ganna have them go ahead and do the work on the heads to. The machinist said I'm ganna need to get replacement valves and guides which stung a bit to hear. I'll work on the pics for yall to. So far my game plan is to get the cylinders/heads/rockers all reconditioned. Depending on how much money I have left after this ordeal either take the whole bottom end as a whole to someone who knows the gig, or if I'm broke jus dig in and pray... I appreciate the support more than you know

Old 07-06-2011, 02:05 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

only one way to learn...

Old 09-22-2014, 05:43 PM
Ironkidzsled
Cruiser

Well ive almost got this thing back together but I got one damn washer that im not sure where it goes.. its a large thick washer thats about 2 inches wide with a 1 inch size hole in the center and its about 3-4 mm thick.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:30 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,865 Likes on 3,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironkidzsled
Well ive almost got this thing back together but I got one damn washer that im not sure where it goes.. its a large thick washer thats about 2 inches wide with a 1 inch size hole in the center and its about 3-4 mm thick.
this post is from june of 2011 this is sept of 2014 - 2 weeks have passed since then

you never said what year bike you have - and by now washing it for 1200 days my guess its real clean

a picture of the washer might help

Old 09-22-2014, 07:57 PM
Ironkidzsled
Cruiser

Well aside from jail and a whole plethora of other **** ive been busy with I just havent had time to.work.on it. Anyway this is the washer..

Quick Reply: Cleaning metal particles out of engine