Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Lost my key.....while riding..

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:23 PM
mustangwagz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost my key.....while riding..

SO my key fell outta the ignition today while i was riding..lol wow does that suck. i only had one key to begin with.. so luckily i was here at home when i found out i was missing the key. So..i must get a new igition..sadly, the shops are closed till tomorrow but i will address this issue ASAP! lol just thought yinz might get a kick out of it, thats all. Anyhow, Keep the rubber side down boys!

Old 05-23-2011, 06:00 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

That sucks. At least the new ignition key switch is not expensive, and you will get two keys with it. Since the key fell out it was doomed to fail soon anyway - would have started as difficult-to-trackdown, intermittent ignition problems.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Neal Perez
Cruiser

only one thing colud be concluded from the key falling off, the bike wants to ride!!!

Old 05-23-2011, 09:18 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

And what did we learn today?

Old 05-24-2011, 08:14 AM
mustangwagz
Advanced

Originally Posted by brgtr3
And what did we learn today?
Learned that...

1. Your avatar is pretty sweet..
2. The ignition was worn ouuuttt!
3. what the 3rd position was for that never made sense to me.. (turns out it has an "on" position and a "on w/lights" position, but someone jumpered it so the lights was on ALLLL the time with key on.
4. New harley keychain is like 5 bucks.
5. Chances of gettin another key that said "AMF" on it is slim to none..

Old 05-24-2011, 01:07 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

I may have seen AMF keys on eBay some time ago. Might be worth putting in an auto-search.

There is a European and a N American wiring for the ignition switch. NA has lights on at both #2 and #3 position - there is a little green wire in the ign key switch for this. Best is to remove that wire. E setup does not have this wire.

I also run the tail light [not the brake lite] from the ACC cb rahter than the LIGHTS cb. This way i have the tail light on with the 1st key position. The idea is that if the gen fails i can turn the key back to #2 and run with no headlite but still have the tail lite on.

Works best with an LED 1157 in the tail light fixture; and a pair of 1157 LED running lights [both filaments on] at the front. These take less than .1 amp total.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:54 PM
mustangwagz
Advanced

hooked it up like it was to begin with and all is back to normal..but i dont got any brake lights...odd eh? lol i checked for power clean back to the light N tis there..just no brake light..i have a running light, but no brake light. changed the bulb, and still, no brake light. bulbs are both new, and good. took housing off fender, and grounded it with a jumper wire, still, same effect. Checked for continuity from both green and red, (parking light, brake light) with bulb in. From wire to housing, and meter beeeeeeeps like it should so i got continuity. not really sure wtf is goin on.. i chased my **** for like an hour N a half..so i dunno whats going on?..bad bulb socket? cuz im gettin power BACK to the wires on both sides, at proper times...but brake light wont light.. lol.. its puzzling..very puzzling. Any thoughts mick?

On another note, i DO intend on installing LED's in all my t/s and brake light after i get brake light back.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:11 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

a lock smith could probably cut you a new key pretty cheap,there are numbers on the switch. it wont say amf thou

Old 05-25-2011, 09:53 AM
shepdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds stupid but do you have the right bulb? spring could be week in the socket not pushing the wires up against the bulb?

Old 05-25-2011, 10:13 AM
mustangwagz
Advanced

1157, double element bulb. manual calls for some kinda 3cp or something? anyhow, i put bulb in and pulled housing off fender.. i checked for continuity between red wire and housing, and it beeps, Continuity between green wire n housing and it beeps.. so i dunno wtf is goin on guys.. its got 12 volts back to the light on both sides when i hit the pedal..but i cant figure out WHY it wont light?

Quick Reply: Lost my key.....while riding..