Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Lost my key.....while riding..

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:27 AM
Neal Perez
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mick i know what you are sayin about a loose key, i had a GS1100 in the early 80 that the key became loose in the switch, the bike had some other issues because of it, like with the parking light not coming on

Old 06-02-2011, 01:11 AM
IronGear
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Neal Perez
Mick i know what you are sayin about a loose key, i had a GS1100 in the early 80 that the key became loose in the switch, the bike had some other issues because of it, like with the parking light not coming on
Pure nonsense.
Switch position is controlled by detent.
Key retention is controlled by tumblers.

The key enables the turning of the switch, and has nothing at all to do with the positional location of the switch.

The electrical part of the switch is related to the position of the switch, not whether or not you can turn it, or the key stays in.

It matters not if 100 people say "yeah, I know what you are talking about, Mick".

It is still wrong, and I feel very sorry for anyone that listens to such incorrect nonsense.

You guys amaze me with the things you believe(which could never be true) and the things you refuse to believe(that have always been true).

Absolutely incredible.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:06 AM
shepdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good old iron gear allways good for a laugh!! if the detents are wore out then yes the electrical part could be affected, if the detents are wore out then yes it could stop or move between the electrical switches and cause problems, and if the tumblers are wore the switch can move without the key with the vibration these thing go thru its a wonder this doesnt hapen more often!

Old 06-02-2011, 07:13 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by shepdog
good old iron gear allways good for a laugh!! ...
... +1

Old 06-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Neal Perez
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think IR0NGEAR is right, back then i was using some mind altering substances, i could have imagined the whole thing, LOL

That was a long time ago thinking about it, that GS 1100 was the fastest thing out of the factory showroom, it ran low 11 second time slips

Today, 01:11 AM
IronGear
Prospect
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Perez

Pure nonsense.
Switch position is controlled by detent.
Key retention is controlled by tumblers.

The key enables the turning of the switch, and has nothing at all to do with the positional location of the switch.

The electrical part of the switch is related to the position of the switch, not whether or not you can turn it, or the key stays in.

It matters not if 100 people say "yeah, I know what you are talking about, Mick".

It is still wrong, and I feel very sorry for anyone that listens to such incorrect nonsense.

You guys amaze me with the things you believe(which could never be true) and the things you refuse to believe(that have always been true).

Absolutely incredible.