Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Lost my key.....while riding..

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 11:48 AM
mustangwagz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok..so i used a 12v test light, the power i got coming back lights the test light very dim.. so i checked grounds, they're all good from what i can see...so i went back further into the circuit, started at the rear pedal pressure switch.. if i unhook it from switch, and jump the 2 wires together (orange and red) the brake lights come on as their supposed to.. Bad switch then? but...i chcked for continuity and it has it when i apply the pedal..but my question is, can it have to much resistance to let the 12v pass through, but yet still check out for continuity? so im wandering if i just need to replace the switch n take a stab at it? reason being..next tuesday it goes in for new rubber on the back end so hopefully i can get this figured out REAL QUICK! lol

Old 05-25-2011, 05:01 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

I would assume that the switch will pass continuity, but not pass enough amps to light the light, and replace the switch. If it still does not work then you have a spare switch for later.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:45 PM
shepdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes replace the switch it could be shorting out inside

Old 05-26-2011, 12:20 AM
mustangwagz
Advanced

Switch fixed it guys! thanks a bunch!

Old 05-26-2011, 06:55 AM
IronGear
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMick
That sucks. At least the new ignition key switch is not expensive, and you will get two keys with it. Since the key fell out it was doomed to fail soon anyway - would have started as difficult-to-trackdown, intermittent ignition problems.
The mechanical area of the switch that is responsible for key retention has no bearing at all on the electrical performance of the switch.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:57 AM
IronGear
Tourer

I would assume that the switch will pass continuity, but not pass enough amps to light the light, and replace the switch. If it still does not work then you have a spare switch for later.
Obviously impossible.
A switch(or wire for that matter, exactly the same) cannot show continuity(zero resistance) and then also provide resistance to current flow.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:09 AM
mustangwagz
Advanced

Originally Posted by IronGear
Obviously impossible.
A switch(or wire for that matter, exactly the same) cannot show continuity(zero resistance) and then also provide resistance to current flow.
Continuity will still be present even if it has resistance though...if a wire for example is wicked with corrosion n such, it'll still have passable means, just not enough for the circuit. My favorite example is starter wires...they do this alot.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:33 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by IronGear
The mechanical area of the switch that is responsible for key retention has no bearing at all on the electrical performance of the switch.
If the mechanical area is worn out the key will be loose and will not make and hold a good connection. A common result, for example, is that the bike will stall when stopping at an intersection. This can be difficult to track down.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:07 AM
IronGear
Tourer

Originally Posted by mustangwagz
Continuity will still be present even if it has resistance though...if a wire for example is wicked with corrosion n such, it'll still have passable means, just not enough for the circuit. My favorite example is starter wires...they do this alot.
Part 1.
The wire is not providing the resistance. you are referencing a mechanical device.
Part 2.
"Passable means", and "just not enough" are a contradiction in terms.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:07 AM
IronGear
Tourer

If the mechanical area is worn out the key will be loose and will not make and hold a good connection. A common result, for example, is that the bike will stall when stopping at an intersection. This can be difficult to track down.
You are talking nonsense. There is no other way to say it.

Quick Reply: Lost my key.....while riding..