Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

81' Ironhead carb issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 06:11 PM
n.texan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plugs that were in it were Autolite Platinum AP64. The plugs that I bought were the Autolite 4123. There was a jet under a little plastic cover that had a lever on it. It is located on top of the carb right behind the flange that the manifold mounts to. Over close to the choke linkage there is a hole, looks like there should be a jet there but it is just a hole. I will try to post pics this evening.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:38 PM
n.texan
Intermediate

O.k. here is a pic of the top of the carb. I am having a hard time getting it to upload. Under the white cap is a jet, and the hole in question is close the to choke linkage side.

Attached Thumbnails 81' Ironhead carb issues-007.jpg  
Old 04-04-2011, 07:02 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

The hole is supposed to be there. I do not know its function. It is usually [mostly] covered up by the choke cable bracket.

Under the white cap is the pilot screw. It should have the screw, spring, washer, and o-ring, removeable with a pipe cleaner - screw it in sort of. Often they come out on the first try. Other times you need to fiddle, be creative, etc.

The two jets, slow and main, are inside the carb, beside each other. The slow jet is under the rubber plug.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:16 PM
n.texan
Intermediate

Alright so I have gone through the carb and I dont think it was dirty at all. So I have it and the new plugs in the bike and it still won't start. Should I be looking at the ignition next?

Old 04-04-2011, 10:35 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

im not being a jerk here just putting out an f.y.i ----you should have checked the ignition first.its the easiest cheapest thing to do and it eliminates so many problems if its good.------just check for a spark.a good spark.then go from there.

did you check and see if you had points or not?

Old 04-05-2011, 04:34 AM
shepdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you sure your getting fuel thru the carb? if you are getting spark and fuel the only thing left is compression, if you have all three and the timing is close it has to run, is fuel running out on the ground under the bike when you turn the petcock on?

Old 04-05-2011, 06:13 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by n.texan
... Should I be looking at the ignition next?
The right side engine cover is the gearcase cover, commonly referred to as the cam cover as the cam gears are behind it. The small round cover on the "nosecone" is the timing cover. Remove the cover and let us know what is in there. Best is to post a pic.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:50 PM
n.texan
Intermediate

O.K. lots of things poped up today and could not find the time to get in the garage But tomorrow I will get out there and tear into the ignition. Still not sure if it has points or not. I will post some pictures of it as soon as I gt it opened up. Thank you guys for all of the advice, I would honestly be lost without you all.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:27 PM
n.texan
Intermediate

Mick, I got the cover pulled off and honestly I dont know what to be looking for. Here is a pic of the inside. I am not sure of my next step now.

Attached Thumbnails 81' Ironhead carb issues-ignition-1-002.jpg   81' Ironhead carb issues-ignition-1-001.jpg  
Old 04-06-2011, 07:42 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

That is the sensor plate for an electronic ignition. I have never seen the original EI for the 80 to 82 Sportsters but i would guess that is what it is. The only place to get info is in the factory service manual 99484-85. The related computer module should be mounted on the bottom of the battery carrier/oil tank.

Look and see if there is something there. It may be roughly rectangular with sort of pointed ends, attached with two bolts near the pointy ends. It would have a ground wire, a cable with two wires [white and black] going to the coil, and another cable going to the sensor plate.

Quick Reply: 81' Ironhead carb issues