Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

72 ironhead trans fill

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 07:27 PM
rblokzyl
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 72 ironhead trans fill

Rebiulding 72 sporty trans,not clear on how to fill and chk trans.
Any help would be appreciated

Old 03-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pour in 24 oz of your preference trans oil, I use 60 wt engine oil as mine still has the oil transfer valve unplugged. Then after pouring in 24 oz, lean the bike hard right and left, back and forth a few times and stand the bike up level, give it a few minutes to settle. Then pull the trans oil level screw from the chain case cover, the level is correct when it is just seeping from the oil level screw hole.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:45 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

To be clear, note that the bike must be level when you let it drip out to the correct level. I put mine on 2 pieces of 2X6, and use a tie down so that it does not tip over.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer

Originally Posted by IronMick
To be clear, note that the bike must be level when you let it drip out to the correct level. I put mine on 2 pieces of 2X6, and use a tie down so that it does not tip over.
I may have to employ that method, it's always difficult to block the kickstand up and not dump the bike over in the process.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:42 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

I have an eye-bolt screwed into a stud on the left side of my shop. I tie between that and the fork stem.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:54 AM
rblokzyl
4th Gear

Why I am questing my oil fill procedure is because I do not have A transfer hole in the lower part of my access cover. It is not completely through. I am wondering if this is the right cover. This trans has been apart before by someone else. Cover number is 34846-54a.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:07 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by rblokzyl
Why I am questing my oil fill procedure is because I do not have A transfer hole in the lower part of my access cover. It is not completely through. I am wondering if this is the right cover. This trans has been apart before by someone else. Cover number is 34846-54a.
The number 34846-54a, if embossed into the cover, is not a part number but is a casting number. There is no easy way to determine if that is the correct part from that number.

I do not get what you mean by not have A transfer hole in the lower part of my access cover. There is a transfer valve in early models [pre-77 i believe] that is internal to the engine, not in the cover. There is a level hole in the lower part of the cover; this usually has a phillips head bolt in it ...

This is what is ued to get the correct level. The correct level is either 1.5 pints [24 fl oz] or until it seeps from this hole with the bike level.

Best to post a pic of your cover. Upload it to PhotoBucket, then Copy/Paste the IMG code [not the HTML code] from there to your post here.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:36 AM
rblokzyl
4th Gear

I am referring to my transsmission access cover not primary cover. The hole that should level the fluid between the primary side end transmission.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer

I am referring to my transsmission access cover not primary cover. The hole that should level the fluid between the primary side end transmission.
With the primary cover installed, the bike standing straight up (level) the oil will level itself and any excess will seep out the oil level screw hole in the primary cover.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:54 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

OK, so you are talking about an internal part, the trap door for the transmission. I am not familiar with that part.

Quick Reply: 72 ironhead trans fill