Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

oil line

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 07:05 PM
timberjack
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil line

I just fired my 77xlch up in garage and it blew the oil line split it right by pump.So I figured it was a fluke so i put a new line on and giv it a kick and it fired up and split the line again same spot.Hmm so i thought maybe a blokage in line which is wierd , it worked fine when i parked it in fall.So i took off the filter and will check lines for free flow tomorow and put on new line and filter and try it again anyone else ever seen this?

Old 03-30-2011, 09:43 AM
timberjack
Novice

Well put on new filter , blew air threw the return ,new filter still splits oil line to filter.I am using 3/8 fuel line any ideas whats going on.Is the pump screwed i will get some braided line today and see if that fixes it.Please chime in if you got any ideas.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:12 AM
timberjack
Novice

Went out and got filter # it is a Hiflo filtro#HF171B ,I read on another forum this happened and the guy bypassed the oil filter and all was well.Is this filter not the right one, I drove 2500 miles last yr and used these same filters with no probs, so i cant see it beiing the filter I will go out and try to blow out my lines again i will unhook the pump preasure line and unhook the return see if i can blow threw the filter.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Neal Perez
Cruiser

i am sorry you are having this issue, i have no idea what is going on on your case but am keeping an eye on it just for the knowledge

Old 03-30-2011, 10:47 AM
timberjack
Novice

Ok went out cut the oil line where it split and tried blowing air threew to the oil tank.Theres the problem the oil wont blow threw the filter, I am guessing it is the wrong one.I rode my bike 2500 miles last yr with no problem I am using a Hiflo HF171B.Well i found if i turn the filter i can find spot where i can blow threw to the tank this is not right so If someone can give me a proper oil filter for my bike, that would be great.I am riding a 1977xlch 1000 it has a spin on filter (must be a add on) I think it was a Hd2 filter in the begining.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:27 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

The usual spin-on filter is HD part number 63782-80T. This is the short one that "everyone" uses. It was stock on some bikes like the 80&81 Sportsters and is used extensively on choppers etc because it is small. Many after market compatibles available.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:42 PM
timberjack
Novice

Thanks Mick,
I live a few hrs north of northbay so its a bit of a drive so i come up with a few that work.

I went and did a pile of cross reff and come up with wix filter #51215 I also come up with a fram#ch6067 (which i used to use and is no longer made)so I went to Napa and got him to see if they had one that will fit.Well he said well we get our filters from wix so just add a 5 to any napa number and you will get the wix so he had the regular blk one part #1215 in stock. So i put it on and i can now blow threw the preasure side of oil filter and hear air in oil tank.I fairly certain this will work I just cant for the life of me figured out how i run that filter last season with no troubles.Any how the o-ring may have swelled a bit, but when i put new one on same part number same thing happened!! i dont know I am just glad it will run for turkey season.I will tackle the kickstart seal after turkey unless i get bored in the next 3 weeks, i just ordered a jims clutch tool so who knows fishing has been terible.
Thanks again

Old 03-30-2011, 04:26 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

WIX are a well known, good brand of filter.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:43 AM
IronGear
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you had the oil lines reversed, and you previously were using a filter that did not have a reversion flap, and your current filters do have one, you would certainly be experiencing exactly what you are.
Oil enters the outside, and returns to the tank from the centre of the filter.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:13 AM
timberjack
Novice

Ok this is what i wanted to know if the oil was going the right way threw the filter i will switch these around as they are on wrong.And have been like that since i bought the bike.Thanks