Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

rocker cover gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:53 AM
izzyfutch
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default rocker cover gaskets

On a '74 ironhead, does anyone use gasket maker on both sides of the paper gaskets? If so, what do you use? Thanks.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:13 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Gasket maker would always be incorrect to use with a gasket, as would any silicone product. A gasket sealant would be correct in some cases.

IMO it is best to install gaskets dry unless the surface has a history of not sealing. The gaskets do seal, and with no sealant they come off much more easily when needed to.

I make an exception for cylinder base gaskets. I put Permatex Hylomar on the bottom of the gasket so that it will not move when re-orienting the cylinders during installation of the intake manifold.

Another popular sealant is a Permatex product usually referred to as copper coat, but the name has recently changed. It is in a spray can, and still has the word copper in the name. I have some in the shop so i can look up the name if needed.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:13 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

me personally i didnt the first time i had tem off of my 81....but i developed an oil leak on the rear cylinder on the outside(towards rear)-----for me i have to take the rocker and head off together on te rear.....i believe you do too but not 100% sure.this time i use a small amount of gasket sealer on the outside part(maybe should have done whole thing but i didnt)both sides of gasket.------i used a permetex gasket maker i beleive.....i used a very very tiny amount.i would not over do it because whats on the outside of your rocker will be on the inside and you dont want anything that is not suppose to be there clogging up stuff...like return lines etc-----rtv is the worse imo.it squishes out with out getting tacky like gasket maker.at least thats been my experience.remeber whatever comes out the outside will be coming out the inside of the rocker.

edit-just saw micks post.....i used a gasket maker i am almost certain.....ive always used it in this way when needed and it works for me.there is probably a reason i shouldnt.......i dont know that i know the real difference between a maker and a sealant.

Last edited by straydog13; 03-14-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:20 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

For myself i believe in using sealer on the rocker box gaskets.
I coat both sides with Permatex #3 laid out on a sheet of newspaper.
Then the gaskets go on followed by the rocker box.

I DO NOT ever use Permatex #2, which hardens like a rock.
#3 is a non hardening sealer and comes with a brush in the can lid.
pg

Old 03-14-2011, 05:37 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I tried the spray-on permatex 'tack', thinking it would make the job easy...but, it ran and left red stains once the motor got hot. I don't have many km's since my last build...so, I don't know how it will stand up yet.
Previously, I used #3 also, but, it gets all over your fingers. I'd heard good things about the Tack...it was less messy to use...I'll see this summer how it makes out.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:28 AM
Calwoodbutcher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gasgacinch!