Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Mick, PG or one of you other gurus

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 05:46 PM
EvilWayz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mick, PG or one of you other gurus

What kind of grease do you use when rebuilding a genny, how much do you use and where does it go? Bought my rebuild kit a piece at a time to save money and it came with no grease. Actually it might not be grease, it might be some similar clear oily liquid, but regardless I'm sure I need some.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:07 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

The grease that i use is a Permatex product, a general purpose grease for use with motorcycles, sold in dirt bike shops. Comes in a medium size white tube.

I put a small amount of the grease in the needle bearing in the outboard commutator end cover. If you over grease this some of the grease can migrate onto the commutator and interfere.

I have never refurbished the armature shaft bearing in the inboard end plate so i do not know about greasing that part. It needs just a small amount i would guess.

No other grease anywhere. I clean everything up with electrical contacts cleaner and a tooth brush.

Note the insulators in the brushes holder that are directly under the brushes. These often swell up and interfere with the brush moving back and forth. The only solution to this IME is to sand down the brush so that it slides better. I have had no luck trying to fix the problem directly, but sanding down the brush works well for me.