Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

New Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Neal Perez
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disagree with helicoils leaking so much.

a hole that has been damaged has to be tapped then helicoiled, IF THERE IS TO BE CONTACT WITH FLUIDS then you have to use a locktite 260 series, (ithink we used 262) on the threads but thats easy to find out, properly done you have a thread that is stronger than original and seals even better.
we used helicoils on high pressure meters and have use them on many race motor blocks.

sorry but no leaks from helicoils

Old 03-02-2011, 05:25 PM
shepdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

neal is correct, a properly installed helicoil will not leak, and in many cases is much, much stronger than original threads

Old 03-04-2011, 02:05 AM
IronGear
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IronGear
It can be made to work, but is not the ideal. As it can work, many then use this as proof that they have done the right/best thing.
Nothing could be further from the truth.
Quite commonly, the full story behind any dynamic or repair is vastly unknown to most, including (so-called) professionals, who will argue endlessly that they know exactly what they are doing, even when confronted with additional information that they clearly had no idea existed.
Care needs to be taken, to avoid being misdirected by poor advice provided from others.

Thank you for the excellent example.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Neal Perez
Cruiser

Originally Posted by IronGear
Thank you for the excellent example.

My dear sir, i for one will reward you with the gift of being famous, i will name you after a great Philosopher, Confucius.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:25 PM
EvilWayz
Tourer

So I pulled the genny and there was a nice oil run mark and about 3/4 of the oil seal was remaining. Course I can't test this repair to see if the problem is solved as my battery is dead.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:57 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I need to get off my lazy butt and get a gasket for mine. It doesn't even have one. Might be why I have oil on the bike.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:21 AM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just redid my genny and in the time I took it off, the parts ordered and received, and back together I have lost my gasket (damn kids). For me to drive to my closest dealer is an hour drive and fuel cost, order online...weeks for delivery, but, my local auto parts place has auto gasket material that is rubber so, I bought a sheet and made two. I have to use both because the mat'l is a little thin but it is working good for now. I'll see how long it lasts before it starts to leak.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:25 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

No kids here so i have no one to blame but me. I have used the cork gasket material from Canadian Tire a few times.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:19 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I guess I can't really blame the kids either....they are older teens that move from the bed to the couch and back...with their only other stop at the fridge.

I was at a swap meet in milton today and found some bits and pieces to put away for the future including some replacement gaskets. Motorcycle show in TO tomorrow to see what's around there too.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:36 PM
EvilWayz
Tourer

i got a complete cometic gasket set at the fleamarket today, in the wrapping for 15 bucks. I'm pretty sure that somewhere in Florida there's a Harley Dealership missing a cometic top end seal set though, and I'm pretty sure I don't care.

Quick Reply: New Oil Leak