Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Ironhead intake question..

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 01:55 PM
mustangwagz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock carb boot is the answer! i just trimmed outter portion off. After rethinking it, i shoulda left it on but..yah..i didnt. lol

It slides in rather tight..ok well..VERY TIGHT, but once its in..its in!!

Still working on Brackets for mounting.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:35 PM
mustangwagz
Advanced

More Pics soon! just finished my Custom Bendix A/C Retro Fit. Next will be Copy-Cating a choke mount i found, and Brackets for securing the Carb/ A.C. to the bike! WOooOooOo! SO far, So good!

I fired it up on saturday too btw guys. Wow, BIG difference already with just changing the carb..i can actually get it to idle smoothly below 1000 rpm.. The bendiz that was on it got poopy below 1000 RPM and would idle (surge) up N down and stall sometimes depending on the ambient temperature/humidity..go figure..typical bendix?

Anyhow, more pictures soon!! Also, If anyone needs or wants a bendix carb, lemme know..i got one!! lol Its got the Adjustable main jet, and comes with a bunch of extra goodies. (rebuild parts, Choke Cable, and a NOS "Gary Bang" Accel Pump)!!

Old 11-22-2010, 09:23 PM
mustangwagz
Advanced
Default Its done..

Well carb swap is all done. Pics tomorrow i hope. (if i can find camera..) Everything is Done. Mounts, air cleaner, etc etc. one issue i ran into was how wide everything was with all the newly swapped parts. i had to buy extensions for my cruising pegs. SO, guess that kinda screws me for forward controls (untill i make my own..muhaha) Oh well, anyways, its allll done. took me a while, but ya cant rush a good thing like that..i had fun doing it, and was very **** about how i did it all. lol All it took was time and money. I also got rid of my tiny little wood burner and put in a FREE 3 yr old oil furnace which now kick *** in my garage! lol So needless to say, the sporty will stay at about 50 degree's this year while hibernating under a blankey!

next on list of things to do, will be replacing exhaust gaskets and then i think thats about it?..i figued to hell with pullin the heads for now. Ill do that next year and get them re-done..maybe ill have mroe money saved up by then!? (shootin to get in a local coal mining company..which will help financially BIGTIME!!)

anywho, pics soon! i promise guys!! PS, this place has been quiet lately!

Old 11-22-2010, 10:04 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mustangwagz
... next on list of things to do, will be replacing exhaust gaskets ...
... except that there are no exhaust gaskets on an IronHead??

To ensure a good, leakproof seal on the exhausts i apply some Permatex Ultra Copper sealant to the inside of the pipe before slipping it over the exhaust port, and i use a pop can metal shim between the pipe and the clamp.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:12 PM
98glider
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

[quote=IronMick;7568838]... except that there are no exhaust gaskets on an IronHead??

To ensure a good, leakproof seal on the exhausts i apply some Permatex Ultra Copper sealant to the inside of the pipe before slipping it over the exhaust port, and i use a pop can metal shim between the pipe and the clamp.[/quote

Should you clean the heads before applying the permatex with emery cloth also how long should you let the permatex sit before running the bike thanks

Old 11-23-2010, 06:47 PM
mustangwagz
Advanced

Originally Posted by IronMick
... except that there are no exhaust gaskets on an IronHead??

To ensure a good, leakproof seal on the exhausts i apply some Permatex Ultra Copper sealant to the inside of the pipe before slipping it over the exhaust port, and i use a pop can metal shim between the pipe and the clamp.
ahh no kiddin?! ha! learn something new every day! so in other words, its just a metal to metal seal then eh? pipe to head?

Old 11-23-2010, 07:01 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 98glider
... Should you clean the heads before applying the permatex with emery cloth also how long should you let the permatex sit before running the bike thanks
I do not clean them first, unless there is some obvious crud there, like the permetex from the previous application. The tube says it fully cures in 24 hours [as i recall, best to check] but i do not take that seriously either. The Ultra Copper is good to something like 750`F [again i do not recall exactly] and just seems to work well. I have never had an exhaust leak since i started using it.

The other similar producte, Ultra Blue, Ultra Black, etc have lower maximum temperatures. I use the copper because it is the highest of these. Other guys on other forums also use it.

Perhaps i should be more careful and clean them first and let it sit overnight. But i do not.

Originally Posted by mustangwagz
... its just a metal to metal seal then eh? pipe to head?
Yes.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:49 PM
98glider
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks Iron I have to take my pipes off and put new heat wrap on and this info will help alot.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:43 PM
mustangwagz
Advanced

awesome! Once again, Ironmick saves our days! Muhahah! Thanks mick!!

Old 11-24-2010, 03:38 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why are you leak-proofing your exhausts?

Quick Reply: Ironhead intake question..