Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

bolt on hardtail question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:15 PM
indianaironhead
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i emailed hih and he says it isnt possible to do a bolt on a 81 because of the frame design.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:06 AM
slim55g
Advanced

He is correct, the later iron heads have a different frame design, your best option would be to find a swap meet frame with paper & save your original. you can do anything you want, as long as you hold on to the paper. i have built several, all you need is some know how & a welder, or a good friend who can weld!!!! build what you want, to your specs. Theres no such thing as "you cant do that"... All things are possible with a welder & torch !!!!

Old 09-17-2010, 04:15 AM
Ironkidzsled
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slim55g
He is correct, the later iron heads have a different frame design, your best option would be to find a swap meet frame with paper & save your original. you can do anything you want, as long as you hold on to the paper. i have built several, all you need is some know how & a welder, or a good friend who can weld!!!! build what you want, to your specs. Theres no such thing as "you cant do that"... All things are possible with a welder & torch !!!!
Ditto that ^. A sawzall and angle grinder will help to.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:10 PM
EvilWayz
Tourer

Originally Posted by IronMick
I do not have any direct experience, just what i have learned from these forums over the years. Generally, guys do not like the look of the bolt-ons, frown seriously at cutting up an original frame, and much prefer an aftermarket hardtail frame. You can find many more experienced opinions at other forums like jockeyjournal.com, XLForum.net, etc.

Oh lordy Mick, i bet you'd kick my *** if you knew how many ironhead frames I've cut up and welded back together.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Neal Perez
Cruiser

Big guy.
can you share photos of your conversion, i have an 81 and dont want to cot the frame, i want to be able to put her back to original if i so desire, if you have photos to share and want to send them to me i will give you an e-mail

Neal in Texas

Old 11-24-2010, 03:29 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine is a weld-on. The bike had been bounced before I bought it so, it needed some work anyway. I like it, and it looks good if you take the time.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Neal Perez
Cruiser

I talked with the guys at The Hammer in Hand, it was about a similar bike a 81 sportster, not to plug anyone with complements but they appear to be very knowlegable about the set-up, they told me that the frame on the 81 has a long tail compared to 79 and earlier, so a bolt on would look very strange, on that model the best way is to cut the frame, it was recomended to me to get a basket case with frame from a previous model or a Paughco frame and bolt everything up to it. any mistakes on whats written here should go to me and my not understanding of what i was told.

Neal In Houston

Old 01-02-2011, 10:49 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i would go with a paugho frame..you can find them pretty cheap on ebay or??you dont ruin your origenal frame and end up with a much nicer looking and riding bike..i had a paugho ridged ironhead once,and still miss it..

Old 01-03-2011, 08:23 AM
Neal Perez
Cruiser

that is a good choice. one thing about Paugho frames, does anyone know how many things are direct bolt on, in other words, will all the stock items bolt on to it? i know that the battery, oil tank, and seat dont look like it will make it but is there anything else.

Neal

Old 01-03-2011, 06:18 PM
shepdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a paucho for years,from what i can remember i think the rear caliper, oil tank, battery box,seat,are different, the frame i had the gas tank,front end was a direct bolt on,not sure on wheel spacers or fuses and breakers

Quick Reply: bolt on hardtail question