Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Generator Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 06:43 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

The speedo cable unscrews; but you have to unscrew the whole cable not just the fitting at the wheel. Disconnect at the speedo unit up top, align the cable so it is straight, then turn it out.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:20 PM
mustangwagz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So its been crappy weather lately, rainy off and on. perfect time to disect the generator. Tore it apart and to my surprise everything looked fine other than the brushes. a little wore, and outta spec. i replaced them bearings N such all sound and look fine. no excessive end play and absolutely NO lift or wobble in them. Ran bike without gen, still makes noise. after having a local ironhead owner/ mechanic listen to it, he simply smiled, shut the bike down and said "that my friend is the typical sportster cam gear slop your hearing." SO..guess that answers my question. haha he said its nothing to worry about. Cuz i havent seen anything in my oil so it apparently aint hurtin anything. just makin some noise.

i also re routed my speedo cable so thats a plus too. (Thanks mick on the cable removal process) Drag bars make it feel a WHOLE lot different to ride, and i like it alot more. more comfortable and easier to run the controls.

Next on the list of things i'd like to try, is the CV40 Slide carb swap. imma try and do some research on this whole process. Have any of yinz heard about ppl doin this swap? i was told by a few ppl it is a nice upgrade to a hassle free carb. (mine dont gimme problems, just seems a little to big for my application? i think it was originally used on the early 1200's? )

Anyhow, thanks to all that have helped! i appreciate it alot guys! Yinz deff know your ****!

Old 08-24-2010, 08:34 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mustangwagz
So its been crappy weather lately, rainy off and on. perfect time to disect the generator. Tore it apart and to my surprise everything looked fine other than the brushes. a little wore, and outta spec. i replaced them bearings N such all sound and look fine. no excessive end play and absolutely NO lift or wobble in them. Ran bike without gen, still makes noise. after having a local ironhead owner/ mechanic listen to it, he simply smiled, shut the bike down and said "that my friend is the typical sportster cam gear slop your hearing." SO..guess that answers my question. haha he said its nothing to worry about. Cuz i havent seen anything in my oil so it apparently aint hurtin anything. just makin some noise.

i also re routed my speedo cable so thats a plus too. (Thanks mick on the cable removal process) Drag bars make it feel a WHOLE lot different to ride, and i like it alot more. more comfortable and easier to run the controls.

Next on the list of things i'd like to try, is the CV40 Slide carb swap. imma try and do some research on this whole process. Have any of yinz heard about ppl doin this swap? i was told by a few ppl it is a nice upgrade to a hassle free carb. (mine dont gimme problems, just seems a little to big for my application? i think it was originally used on the early 1200's? )

Anyhow, thanks to all that have helped! i appreciate it alot guys! Yinz deff know your ****!
A 40mm carb is too large for a Sportster.
You want to use no more than a 38mm.
The 40mm is made to use on a Big Twin which is a much larger engine.
pg

Old 08-24-2010, 08:47 PM
mustangwagz
Advanced

the 40mm keihn CV came off an 883 sporty?..so..maybe he measured it wrong then possibly?

mine IS a 1981, 1000cc sporty to btw. i need to get that into my signature..dang! lol

Old 08-24-2010, 09:03 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh, no doubt it did come off the Sportster. I am just saying a 40mm is too large.
Originally the Sportster came with a 38mm size and if I am not mistaken that was changed to a 36mm sometime in the 1980's.
I may be wrong about that because I am not up on the later model engines (after 1974), so don't quote me.
You can hang a 42mm carb on the bike if you want to, but it will not run right.
38mm is the perfect size.
pg

Old 08-24-2010, 09:07 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

The CV carb is considered a good upgrade for an IronHead. Have not done it [yet] myself. There are at least a few if not several or many write-ups on the process on the internet. A Google search should turn these up. You should find some sites with detailed instructions and step by step pics. Here's one ...

http://www.sportster.org/tech/

mustangwagz
Advanced

ah i see. ok. well damn. lol was hoping to update my carb setup! I'm runnin the bendix with the 2 adjustable screws on top of it. Good carb, just seems to be a bit much for the bike. ill keep researching then! haha

shepdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 40mm cv i have came off of a 2001 1200 sporty, runs great on my "slightly" built 1000cc ironhead, didnt have to re-jet or anything, search ebay for a "branch" intake and a mikuni adaptor to connect the cv to the branch intake, i tried one of the cheapo adaptors that bolts to the stock intake, didnt work out real well,then you will have to make supports to hold the carb

Old 08-24-2010, 09:08 PM
mustangwagz
Advanced

haha, awesome mick! Thanks! knew you'd key in sooner or later! Muhahah!

Old 08-24-2010, 09:08 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

1978 was the last year for the 38 mm Keihin. Then it went to 34 mm until the CV in about 1988 or so.

Quick Reply: Generator Noise?