Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

1974 ironhead generator problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 04:07 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

"The gen was tested" implies that someone other than yourself did the test. Quite frankly this is not good enough. You must do the test yourself otherwise no one can be certain, not you, not i, not anyone.

If the gen is known to be good then the next parts in sequence are the regulator and the battery; or the wire harness between the gen, the reg, and the battery. It is not an ignition system problem.

A check of the wire harness would be worthwhile. Most of it is hidden but you should be able to do a continuity test between both ends of each wire. I posted a complete wire diagram description in post number 9.

I would hook up a voltmeter to the battery terminals and go for a ride. It should read about 11 to 12 volts at idle, and 12 to 13 or more [probably about 13] over 2000 RPM.

You should run thru the complete Charging System Checkout that i posted in post number 3 - leaving out no steps regardless of what you believe to be good already.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:11 AM
Ironhead Dave
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe IronMick can validate this but after several generators on my 73, my 'generator guy' told me that you need to have a fully charged (or close to it) battery. A generator is not designed to charge a dead battery but maintain a full one. Trying to charge a dead battery will cause the generator to 'run' for too long and usually ends up burning it out one way or another. It won't happen every time but take it from me, it will happen. Got the bike out this spring, had just enough juice to fire it up and another one bites the dust. The price of being lazy...or just too damn eager to get out on these twisty roads in Kentucky!

Good luck!

Dave

Old 04-13-2012, 05:57 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhead Dave
Maybe IronMick can validate this but after several generators on my 73, my 'generator guy' told me that you need to have a fully charged (or close to it) battery. A generator is not designed to charge a dead battery but maintain a full one. Trying to charge a dead battery will cause the generator to 'run' for too long and usually ends up burning it out one way or another. It won't happen every time but take it from me, it will happen. ...
+1 this