Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

I'm just short of certain my motor is fubar/toast... Pls help!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010 | 03:09 PM
Ironkidzsled
|
Cruiser
Default I'm just short of certain my motor is fubar/toast... Pls help!?

I would like to purchase/need a whole new 74 or newer (preferably) xlch Ironhead motor asap! Don't wanna have to mess with mounting a bigger battery, changing oil tanks, ect, and all that to accommodate an elec starter type motor. Would really like to just swap motors if possible and get going back on down the road. So type of motor is not necessarily as important as how quick I can get it!

My current motor is in engine lock status.. The piston located in the rear cylinder seized up/melted pretty much to the point the top of it caved in leaving behind lots of really cool metal dust *****/powdery terds which I was introduced to soon as I pulled off the exhaust pipe far enough for it to sh%t it out.... Imagine I can save the motor BUT I know I'm ganna have to break it all down and go completely go through it, inch by painful inch! I also know I'll go bat $h@t crazy by then without another scooter to ride.... So... Kinda where I'm at now... If anyone of yall can think of any ideas, suggestions, medication, ect, I'd be 1000000x grateful! THANKS

Old 08-07-2010 | 05:33 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member

if you get another engine you really wont/most likely wont know what exactly you got.you could shell out the bucks for a new used engine and next week its crapola......if you rebuild yours at least you will know what you got.--------thats what i beleive firmly but i absolutely understand where your coming from i just dont think its the best way to go...UNLESS you just come across one that you know to be good....but who knows how long you gotta wait for that to happen.
what part of texas are you in...not your home address just what big city you near?theres several people on here from texas and everyone could probably come up with at least one place each.--good luck

Old 08-07-2010 | 07:01 PM
Ironkidzsled
|
Cruiser

Yeah, that's a damn good point. Already kinda thinking the same thing you said tho.If I could find a solid motor 70-78 xlch motor, or someone that knows where I can find one? I'd rather go that route just so I'm able to ride while I repair the other..

It may sound corny, crazy, bit over dramatic, ect... Not that I give a damn! When my bikes not running I feel like I'm in hell. If my scoot aint runnin good neither does my life... Only been a week and I already think I'm crackin from the flames.. Or could just bethis Dallas TX heat! Thnx for the reply btw

Old 08-07-2010 | 07:58 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

I think you are best off working with what you have, even if it means no riding this year. Get the cylinders off, test the bottom end following the procedures in the factory service manual, and let us know what you find.

If you do not have a manual yet, well you most certainly should get one now! In the meantime, dismantling the top end is quite straight forward and we can tell you the two tests, which are easy to do.

If the bottom end is good and you only need to bore cylinders, service the heads/valves, and replace pistons/rings/etc then it is not a big job.

Old 08-10-2010 | 01:57 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member

i dont know any dallas area shops.you may want to jump over to the shovelhead section....they might know of some dallas area places.---i think time wise you may not be out as much time as you think if you rebuild....its hot as heck now anyway...time you get it going bike weather will be here.i understand about that feeling like crap thing.....i swear everytime my bike is down every scooter in the country seems to want to ride past the house....the worst part is when somoene goes by with packs....and you know that they are going someplace...and you aint.yeah that sucks.--good luck

Old 08-10-2010 | 03:06 PM
EvilWayz
Tourer

I've got a 74 kicker only, but I don't know how you'd gt it to where you are.

Old 08-10-2010 | 03:39 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by EvilWayz
I've got a 74 kicker only, but I don't know how you'd gt it to where you are.
What state are ya in? Sometimes miracles happen, something may come together...........maybe you two could pm each other with the details, prices, locations, etc.

Old 08-10-2010 | 04:13 PM
EvilWayz
Tourer

Well I'm in Florida. OP, pm me and make me an offer, maybe we can work something out.

Old 08-14-2010 | 08:28 AM
Ironkidzsled
|
Cruiser

Hey just now seen your message! Ganna pm u

Old 09-14-2010 | 12:14 PM
wingfoot
Road Captain
Default Ironhead

May be a little late, but I have a bike for sale all or part. sent you a PM.

Last edited by wingfoot; 10-16-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Quick Reply: I'm just short of certain my motor is fubar/toast... Pls help!?