Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

I'm just short of certain my motor is fubar/toast... Pls help!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010 | 02:10 AM
johnathan6418
Banned

If you do not have a manual yet, well you most certainly should get one now! In the meantime, dismantling the top end is quite straight forward and we can tell you the two tests, which are easy to do.

Old 09-19-2010 | 07:39 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member

i think you should also take you oil pump apart as well.i wonder if that is the reason why this happened.it may have sheared that pin or moon shaped piece.i dunno but i would make sure your pump is in working order and clean before i trusted it with a new/rebuilt engine..good luck.hope you get in the wind soon.

Old 09-24-2010 | 10:28 AM
GA Ironhead
Cruiser

> how does something like this happen to a motor

Lean condition due to air:fuel adjustment and/or leaks and/or incorrect timing are common self-inflicted causes.

> You need to have that engine completely dis-assembled.
> There is not one part in it that could be run again without AT LEAST
> the type of cleaning that only full dis-assembly can allow.

Excellent advice. Don't take shortcuts. You need to hold and examine every part, nut and bolt of that engine.

Old 09-24-2010 | 04:08 PM
Ironkidzsled
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GA Ironhead
> how does something like this happen to a motor

Lean condition due to air:fuel adjustment and/or leaks and/or incorrect timing are common self-inflicted causes.

> You need to have that engine completely dis-assembled.
> There is not one part in it that could be run again without AT LEAST
> the type of cleaning that only full dis-assembly can allow.

Excellent advice. Don't take shortcuts. You need to hold and examine every part, nut and bolt of that engine.

Agreed. Going to totally disassemble the motor and rebuild.

There was something mentioned about metal coming back out of the engine, metal that cant be cleaned out!? This concerns me for obvious reasons...

Old 09-24-2010 | 08:10 PM
IronGear
Tourer

Most can be cleaned upon dis-assembly.
Some areas, like lifter wheels(for example), can never be cleaned adequately, and after a failure like yours, would need to be replaced.

Old 09-25-2010 | 04:37 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member

I've never seen a piston that looked like that...Not even after witnessing several top end explosions of IH fuelers....I'd like to see a pic of the rear head combustion chamber?

Old 09-25-2010 | 07:31 PM
shepdog
Tourer

the only time i have seen worse was once in a small block chevy that got driven for a few miles after a valve head broke off! we pulled the head and could see the ground under the car thru the hole in the oil pan!

Old 10-17-2010 | 10:29 PM
Ironkidzsled
|
Cruiser

Other than the obvious things I'll have to replace like pistons and rings... If anyone else can think other stuff that I should replace I'd appreciate the help! So far I got 1.) Pistons 2.) Rings 3.) Lifter wheels

Old 10-18-2010 | 02:36 AM
yunche
Stage I

The red motorcycle that looks good

www.****-shoes-max.com

Old 10-18-2010 | 03:28 AM
IronGear
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ironkidzsled
Other than the obvious things I'll have to replace like pistons and rings... If anyone else can think other stuff that I should replace I'd appreciate the help! So far I got 1.) Pistons 2.) Rings 3.) Lifter wheels
You really need to measure the lifters, and assess their wear in a critical manner, before deciding that only new wheels are required. It may be that they are too loose already in the lifter blocks(common), and you would do well to go with new oversize anyhow.

Remember...... poor man pays twice.

When an engine is in a worn, but usable condition, and there is a failure like you have had, it unfortunately is pretty much the case that you just about have to recondition the whole engine. How would it make sense to reinstall a close to worn out crankpin? And you definitely need to break the crank down, as that is an area that fails quickly with even the smallest piece of metal contamination, while being impossible to clean out while assembled.

I would be leaving the list until after all the disassembling, washing, and measuring etc has taken place.
Unless you are incredibly rich, that is.

Quick Reply: I'm just short of certain my motor is fubar/toast... Pls help!?