Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

sandblasting/powdercoating

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 12:24 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts
Default sandblasting/powdercoating

i got an oil leak in the back of my rear rocker.its getting worse.i tightened it up already and it helped for awhile but maybe i over tightened it as i noticed a little piece of gasket has come out.(dunno how it happened but it happened) i am gonna fix it even though i dont want to i need to.....so i might as well sandblast the jugs and powdercoat them.i was just wondering if the small cheap blasters(10-15$ harb freight) works well eneogh to this? also what type of material should i use?sand/walnut/xxxx??---they have a soda blaster that is more expensive but dunno if i need it or if its worth it?one is $140??? the other is $99 i beleive.--------if anyone has any experience with this/doing this etc please chime in.thanks in advance

also do yall put yalls rocker gaskets on dry?i did last time but dont think i will this time.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:37 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

I have very little knowledge of media blasting; but i do know that you must not use sand. I believe that soda and glass bead are OK.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:27 AM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member

why not sand?? is it just from the health benefit from not breathing it in your lungs? or some other reason

Old 07-23-2010, 11:09 AM
47Harley
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard that the soda blasting works real good but I use coal dust and it works good also.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:50 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

My understanding is that you should not use sand on cast iron IronHead engine parts. Just what i recall from forum discussions over the years. You should get opinions from others who know first hand. If no one pops up here try some of the other forums - xlforum, jockeyjournal, etc. Do a Google search for IronHead forum.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:12 PM
shepdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont know why you are not to use sand? maybe they are worried about not getting it all out of all the oil returns? i have allways black beauty abrasive

Old 07-23-2010, 05:06 PM
70Weight
Cruiser

I used play sand on all mine,nary a problem at all..just air blast and wash good.
The gaskets(rocker) use Indian head.Been using it for years never had one leak as long as surfaces are smooth.
VHT spray bombs are hi heat and looks fair on the jugs..cheaper than powder.
How about the "Ride to the River this year"? gunna go?

Last edited by 70Weight; 07-23-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:57 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member

well after serioulsy thinking about it i decided to try a cheaper route.....we will see what happens.i would LIKE to powder coat it but the only real reason to take it all apart is the rocker leak.yall may laugh but i am just going to try and releive valve pressure and then raise back rocker and cutting the high side of a gasket to be able to wrap around.maybe using a touch of gasket sealer on the cut place.------i would really really like to take it apart and powder coating it but considering cost of a paper gasket vs gasket set/new rings/mayeb new head bolts.---i kinda hate myself for not doing the best job i can but its a toss up.if it doesnt work out i will take it apart later.at the moment this is what i am gonna do.----bought a powder coat system the other day and picked up an old stove today.i will use it for other things.
i wonder if it is possible to sandblast the engine without taking it apart with a little small blaster and then powder coating it and letting the engine heat cook it?????? just a thought.
70weight-----i might be starting a new job that will require me most likely to work everyday for a month or so.---so i am not sure but if at all possible i will be there.you gonna go?if i remember i will post up when i know for sure.theres one coming up in axle around ft worth/dallas area.that one gets a little crazy i am told.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:14 AM
shepdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you dont want to try to blast the motor when its together, that sand will find its way into every bearing every moving part there is and it will destroy it! i would fix the leak correctly that way it is done, you can have the heads off in a couple hours,pull the cylinders check the bore out if ok do whatever needs done then, i also use the vht paint on jugs and heads, you will regret it later if you take a short cut now!

Old 07-24-2010, 12:50 PM
70Weight
Cruiser

Well I know You can get that rocker box loose enuff..maybe if You didn't use sealer before,You can get some in on the gasket that's in there now? If I remember,You did a top end not long ago..Good luck with the new job,hope You can make it.
Yes,we are gunna go,I like that female mud wrestling! and the tunes.Havent heard aboult that one in Axle..gonna look it up.

Last edited by 70Weight; 07-24-2010 at 12:53 PM.

Quick Reply: sandblasting/powdercoating