Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Thinking of buying a 76 Ironhead Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 06:51 PM
bmassarani
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a 76 Ironhead Sportster

I may be opening up a can of worms...

I've been riding for over 2 years now and I bought a lightly used 2008 sportster as my first bike. I like the idea of buying an older bike for some character and customization, plus we're moving into a new house and some extra cash for selling my Nightster would be welcome.

There is a 76 Ironhead Sportster on sale near me for 2500.00. I've spoke to the seller and he said that he was selling it for a family. It has a clean title and "needs no major work." I am also am NOT mechanical, but I definitely would like to get a bike that I can start working on minor things to start learning.

Here is what I know about the bike:
-Unknown how many miles are on the bike - Odometer has been replaced with another (stock).
-Brake lines need bleeding
-Clean title and registration matches on the motor and crank

Apparently everything else is good with the bike.

My main questions are:

1 - Is this even a good idea?
2 - If this bike is actually in good shape, how much maintenance is required on an Ironhead, and would this be doable for a novice?
3 - How could I tell if the engine has been redone?
4 - any other things I should look for or thoughts on the change?

2 - How can I

Old 06-10-2010, 07:12 PM
stonemaster
Intermediate

if you think you'll save money then you're wrong, it will need something soon er than later you better have some wrenching skills and tools but I wouldnt trade mine for any Evo,Vrod Road Kibg etc.... they sound awesome

Old 06-10-2010, 07:41 PM
shepdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i woulnt trade my ironhead for anything!, as far as maintenance i go thru mine every winter, check / fix leaks,check clutches out, clean repack all the bearings(swingarm steering neck etc) can ride it all summer with no real problems, but mine has allways been well taken care of, if you dont know the past of the bike you are looking at it could get expensive real fast! if you really want a older bike than maybe you should try to keep your bike you have now so you can keep riding while you are wrenching on the ironhead, if you are not a wrench then you will have to find a local shop willing to work on these old machines! most dealers wont even talk about working on these things!

Old 06-10-2010, 07:52 PM
98glider
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Ill buy it ,does it have a kick start

Old 06-10-2010, 09:36 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Not to be discouraging, but ...

I do not see any extra cash in this. You will pay $2500 plus inspection etc fees, then the repair costs and tool costs will come in. An IronHead is a major hobby, requiring a lot of your spare time. You will need a place to work on it, a set of tools - and the support of your family. You will always be needing more tools - air compressor to run your impact wrench, 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 in drive ratchets, open end wrench sets, etc etc etc.

If you put a lot of time into it them by the end of the first year it will be a reliable motorcycle - but still an ironhead which requires a lot more maintenance than your Evo Sportster.

You must do all of the work yourself. Indie shops charge $50 to $90 per hour, and most have no or little experience with these bikes. And they are not like other bikes. Many good mechanics screw up ironheads. We see it frequently on these forums.

You need the factory parts catalog, the factory service manual, and perhaps one or more of the Clymer and Haynes manuals. You cannot get by without the first two in this list.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:07 PM
70Weight
Cruiser

the price is ok..if it runs good.
You want something to tinker with..this it it! You cant do any better..
And like stated, You will know it inside out within a year.
You have this forum to ask anything.
Go for it...

Last edited by 70Weight; 06-10-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:27 PM
bmassarani
Intermediate

All,

Thanks for the replies, the opinions are greatly appreciated. Looks like I will be sticking with my current bike. Based on what I've read this doesn't sound like it would be over my head instead of a good "starting to wrench" bike.

Thanks again.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:54 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bmassarani
I may be opening up a can of worms...

I've been riding for over 2 years now and I bought a lightly used 2008 sportster as my first bike. I like the idea of buying an older bike for some character and customization, plus we're moving into a new house and some extra cash for selling my Nightster would be welcome.

There is a 76 Ironhead Sportster on sale near me for 2500.00. I've spoke to the seller and he said that he was selling it for a family. It has a clean title and "needs no major work." I am also am NOT mechanical, but I definitely would like to get a bike that I can start working on minor things to start learning.

Here is what I know about the bike:
-Unknown how many miles are on the bike - Odometer has been replaced with another (stock).
-Brake lines need bleeding
-Clean title and registration matches on the motor and crank

Apparently everything else is good with the bike.

My main questions are:

1 - Is this even a good idea?
2 - If this bike is actually in good shape, how much maintenance is required on an Ironhead, and would this be doable for a novice?
3 - How could I tell if the engine has been redone?
4 - any other things I should look for or thoughts on the change?

2 - How can I
If this is a project bike that you are building for a hobby and you have a budget for, then go for it...

If it's something you are doing for transporation or a quick build....You best think it over first!!

Old 06-12-2010, 09:40 AM
jtmon75
Intermediate
Default should i buy a 76 sporty

a couple of things that need to be thought about are tools and parts. many parts are obsolete and my local dealer said harley won't sell tools so some tools you have to make and some parts are junkyard items but this is all part of the fun.these old bikes turn heads and are fun to ride, they can be very fast. my 75 sporty was stroked when i bought it, the guy that did the work did'nt do the cylinder mods correctly, this caused alot of headache. the valves were sunk in(worn out seats)i decided to have them ported and polished,2" intake and 1and 3/4 exhaust valves($800).i can still ride all day without worry. my point is try not to buy something that has been modified, people love to put stroker kits in sporties so you can be buying a can of worms and it can cost alot of money before you can ride it worry free. as far as money goes i would have prefered a stock motor but all said and done my bike is alot of fun to ride (100+ mph in the 8th mile).