Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Possible Mismatched Cams, Or??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:29 PM
bskredsvig
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Mismatched Cams, Or??

I have a '72 that I bought as a basket case. It is all together now (was) but it runs like crap. After looking into various possibilities, I decided to take a look at the cams as I was not verry happy with the way they lined up going in. With all four cams in and the breather lined up and advanced timing mark in the hole, etc., the cams will not line up correctly. Cam 1 and 2 will line up fine with each other and the crank, but cam three is off quite a bit. If I line it up as best I can, it will be off to one side or the other of the #2 cam mark. Either way it is installed, it then makes number 4 off of its mark. Some of the marks just do not line up where others will be at very funky angles to each other. What I am wondering, I see that there are part numbers for cams up to '70, then from '71 on. Does anyone know if this is beacuase things were changed or because they were for 900 and 1000cc differences? Second, I know different manufacturers use different markings, but would say one company's cam mate to another company's without problem? They are P cams and all say 1P, 2P, etc. Number 4 cam says Iveglia followed by series of numbers on what appears to be tach drive gear.
Long post, but I hope someone can help; think I may be getting new cams.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:26 AM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Older 900cc engines have distributor/magneto gear in #3 cam ?? and last 900cc and 1000cc has tachometer gear instead of that. New cases (71 -> ) with points inside of cone has tachometer gear. Alternator models has different cams

All cams should have P-marking (71-85) P1 P2 P3 and P4 or with Q-cams (76-85)Q1 Q2 Q3 and Q4. You have some aftermarket cam... there has been sets called PB+ where is only new exhaust cams ( P1 and P4)

Old 06-10-2010, 06:04 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Did you line up the pinion gear mark with the #2 cam? Can you post a closeup pic of the cams showing their ID marks? and installed as close as you can get them?

I did a Google search for Iveglia cams and came up with nothing.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:56 AM
bskredsvig
Novice

I took some pictures, but cannot find my cord for my camera. The pinion gear is lined up perfectly with the number 2 cam, then number 1 lines up perfectly as well. The problem really seems to be that the marks on 3 will not line up with the 2 cam. I also looked up Iveglia and found nothing; it is stamped on the tach drive gear. I am thinking I will just get some new cams and try that. Basically, what prompted this is that the bike would idle fine, but at midrange and up rpm's it would lack power badly and shoot flames from the exhaust as well as heat the pipes cherry red. The points plate was advanced as far as it would go in order for the timing to be correct also.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Neil74
Advanced

Did you try turning the Front intake cam 180 degrees, it should sit in the cam case with one mark around 9 o'clock an the other around 4 o'clock. If installed 180 out the marks will be 9 o'clock and 2 o'clock, and front exhaust cam will never line up this way.