Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

65 Sporty Ironhead

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010 | 08:53 PM
captnbob
|
Novice
Default 65 Sporty Ironhead

I posted this in the Sportster section and they suggested that I post here for more and better answers.

I have the chance to trade for a 65 Sporty Ironhead. As of yet I have not seen the bike but it is suppose to have had the transmission part of the case cut away from it. His plans were to put a big twin transmission behind the engine. My plans are to buy cases and transmission gears and put it back to original. My question is what year model cases will work with the engine parts? I'm not looking for a complete engine/transmission but if one comes along at the price I'm sure I'll grab it. What year model engines will fit the 65 frame?

Thanks for your help, Bob

Old 04-30-2010 | 09:47 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by captnbob
I posted this in the Sportster section and they suggested that I post here for more and better answers.

I have the chance to trade for a 65 Sporty Ironhead. As of yet I have not seen the bike but it is suppose to have had the transmission part of the case cut away from it. His plans were to put a big twin transmission behind the engine. My plans are to buy cases and transmission gears and put it back to original. My question is what year model cases will work with the engine parts? I'm not looking for a complete engine/transmission but if one comes along at the price I'm sure I'll grab it. What year model engines will fit the 65 frame?

Thanks for your help, Bob
If I understand you correctly........ the owner CUT THE TRANS off?
To install a separate transmission?
That guy should be shot. He has ruined a fine old machine. He cannot be very smart if he does this kind of thing.

My advice to you is run, don't walk away from this machine. I cannot even begin to list the things you will have to do to bring it back to life. Let's just say $8,000 might do it for starters.
The engine is ruined. Another set of matched crankcases would be needed.
Then you will have to line ream all of the bearing shafts and bushings.
Then you will have to find a complete transmission, and on and on and on.
A complete replacement engine makes more sense, and then it will not be original.
Forget this nightmare! It is the worst mistake you could make if you make a trade for this thing.
pg

Old 05-01-2010 | 12:27 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master

I have seen the physical removal of the transmission unit from a Sportster engine case done a few times so far on a couple of different Chopper projects. In a sense, you can have everything else just like a Big Twin, including the separate transmission unit, but your engine is a quad cam Sportster engine. People have been known to do some things just to be different, although it doesn’t make it right. I don’t condone it, but to each there own.

Old 05-01-2010 | 06:30 AM
EvilWayz
Tourer

I'm not normally a follower, but PG knows his ****. I can't imagine the abortion that you are trying to trade for myself, frankly.