Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Convert kicker to Electric 65 XLCH

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:52 AM
65xlch53
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert kicker to Electric 65 XLCH

Hello all, new member here who just bought a 65 XLCH kicker. I read "someplace" that with the 65 models some could be converted to electric start and others not. I notice that on the later Ironheads, those with electric start, the case goes a bit higher on the primary side with the electric starter sitting behind the rear cylinder sticking into the primary case. I stopped by a HD shop and they said to look for a small plate with two screws on the primary cover, and if there, it was convertable.

Well, I have the small plate with two screws (as the HD shop said), but I don't see anywhere that a starter can get into the primary area from behind the rear cylinder.

Would someone please educate me on this.

thanks much for your valuable time... 65xlch53

Old 04-30-2010, 07:42 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

I do not have much knowledge of the earlier IronHeads. I too have heard that some years can not take an electric starter conversion.

Terminology: the right side is the gearcase [usually called cam cover] side; the left side is the primary side - so called because it contains the primary chain. The starter motor and solenoid install from the gearcase side, onto the back of the primary side of the case. There would be a cover plate there to block off the opening.

Can you post a pic? Best way to get pics on here is to upload them to PhotoBucket then Copy/Paste the IMG [not the HTTP] code into your message.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:43 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 65xlch53
Hello all, new member here who just bought a 65 XLCH kicker. I read "someplace" that with the 65 models some could be converted to electric start and others not. I notice that on the later Ironheads, those with electric start, the case goes a bit higher on the primary side with the electric starter sitting behind the rear cylinder sticking into the primary case. I stopped by a HD shop and they said to look for a small plate with two screws on the primary cover, and if there, it was convertable.

Well, I have the small plate with two screws (as the HD shop said), but I don't see anywhere that a starter can get into the primary area from behind the rear cylinder.

Would someone please educate me on this.

thanks much for your valuable time... 65xlch53
Most likely this is not possible by any means.
Here is a pic of the primary cover on an XLH 1968 or newer.
See the rectangular shape at the top rear on the primary cover?

Behind this area is a steel plate held on by 2 bolts. One of these bolts you can see in the pic. It is the hex head to the left of the rectangle shape on the cover. Behind this is where an electric starter sits (going across the transmission)

Even if you had the correct crankcases and primary cover (which a 1965 does not have) you would need the following:
New oil tank
New battery
New battery mount
New starter
Starter Bendix housing with all of the internal shafts and gears
New clutch basket with ring gear
Drill and tap a hole in the top of the transmission case
Cut out a round relief on both the kickstart cover & the timing cover for the end of the starter
New wiring, switches, relay, solenoid etc, etc.

I could go on and on, as that is just the short list, but you get the idea. I would forget all about it.
pg

Old 05-01-2010, 12:35 AM
65xlch53
Novice
Default Thanks IronMike and PinionGear

Thanks IronMike and PinionGear...good info... yes, that's the extra part on top of the Primary that I do NOT have. Figures... I lost my right leg ACL and miniscus 5 years ago. Got a cadaver's ACL and busted that 2 years ago during a double pittbull attack! (They attacked me, not vice versa)
Needless to say, at my age, I decided not to get yet again another ACL. The recovery is at least a year. No ACL and a weak right leg makes for some fun kicking, especially when the beast kicks back. I do have one of those "Road Warrior" ectoskelital leg braces that I'll probably wear when I kick the baby over!

Tomorrow is my maiden voyage after 41 years! I'm road legal and ready to go. First gear for at least a mile!! ha.

thanks guys for your kind help... 65xlch53

Old 05-01-2010, 06:26 AM
EvilWayz
Tourer

Sorry you didn't get to hear what you wanted, but best of luck, and ride it like you stole it!

Old 05-01-2010, 06:51 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

I tip my cap to you on having to kickstart your Sporty. Under the best circumstances it is sometimes a chore.
What you want to do is keep the bike in excellent tune and this will make the starting much easier. Ride safe and enjoy it.....pg

Old 05-02-2010, 01:29 AM
65xlch53
Novice
Default Maiden voyage a success!

Thanks PG, EvilWayz, IronMike and all you folks with good wishes...

The Maiden voyage today was a success. 40+ years it's been. I did ride the first mile around my back streets in first gear....how embarassing...then I was off! (just to second gear ) It feels good to have the wind in my face again. Believe it or not, while shopping this morning, my wife, on her own...bought a black leather jacket! Nice.

See you all my friends....65xlch53

Old 05-02-2010, 01:33 AM
65xlch53
Novice
Default easy to start

Oh PinionGear... I forgot to mention...the beast started right up this afternoon. After sitting for two weeks since I bought it, I used this procedure (I read it somewhere, maybe here??)

1) turn on gas, stoke a couple slow to get top of compression
2) choke and two throttle twists
3) turn on kill switch
4) second kick it started right up

No kickback at all. and it purred once it got started.

see ya...65xlch53

Old 05-02-2010, 01:59 AM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, Harley did make a Kit that converted the Kicker Only to add the Electric Start. There also was a kit that added the Kicker to the electric start model.

Trouble is the Kit was for use on 1970 or later models. It was not used for the Dry Clutch that had the Cap over the Clutch basket. The kit had a replacement Oil tank and battery box. The case had a steel plate over the cut out where the electric starter and pinion housing bolted to.It was a very expensive kit. I don't think that there is still a kit around.

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 05-02-2010 at 02:06 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:23 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 65xlch53
Oh PinionGear... I forgot to mention...the beast started right up this afternoon. After sitting for two weeks since I bought it, I used this procedure (I read it somewhere, maybe here??)

1) turn on gas, stoke a couple slow to get top of compression
2) choke and two throttle twists
3) turn on kill switch
4) second kick it started right up

No kickback at all. and it purred once it got started.

see ya...65xlch53
Bravo! Bravo!
Thanks for the report and it's good to hear things went well.
If the bike started that easy after sitting for 2 weeks you can be sure it is in fine tune. Enjoy the wind.
pg

Quick Reply: Convert kicker to Electric 65 XLCH