Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

going digital

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:46 PM
EvilWayz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going digital

I'm up to the wiring part of my project, the part I hate. Anyone have any advice about a way to send a digital signal from my transmission to my tach/speedo? that's what both Dakota and wire plus units need to make them work.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Aldamar
Advanced

Not sure if this helps / hurts any, but a buddy of mine runs a 72, and his old speedometer cable USED to run through a hole in the bottom of the case, which I am told a lot of folks plug / weld shut to avoid oil leakage.

This is at least a prospective safe point of entry, maybe? Beyond that, I'm not on familiar ground running sensors into motors, etc., nor do I know what parts it entails - so the rest is up to you!

Anyone else?

- Al

EDIT:
As a side thought, after reading GA's post - in my '83 I pull a signal for the tach electronically from the coil. Is this something you can do as an alternative? Or, maybe something you can do in the points cover area rather than go directly into the case?

Else, I imagine there's some kind of drivegear you'd have to go off of for the RPM's. Wheel hub seems like most accurate / best way to get a speedo reading, too - I'll double down on that idea.

Last edited by Aldamar; 04-27-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:54 AM
GA Ironhead
Cruiser

Seems like pulling a signal off the ignition would be a lot easier way to deal with the tach. I'm not sure how they would correlate transmission speed to engine RPM, anyway.

I'm not sure how the later wheel speedos work, but I'd explore getting the signal from the front wheel hub for the speedo.

Got a link to those units?

Last edited by GA Ironhead; 04-27-2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:24 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

I think there is no way to get a signal from the trans for either of those units. You will have to get a different speedo, one that runs from a mechanical cable from the wheel. The tach should run from the ignition coil. If not you will not be able to use it either.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:33 AM
EvilWayz
Tourer
Old 04-27-2010, 11:45 AM
Aldamar
Advanced

Seems to me like the first link, at least, is going to require an EI - and that they really DON'T want you to hook the tach directly up to the coil. Also, there presently isn't a transmission sensor in your bike I imagine.

I guess if you really wanted this nifty gadget, you would want to look into converting to EI and finding a way to install a transmission sensor first. That's what I'm gathering from the tech. manual (which really didn't help too much on the wiring schematics side of things).

- Al

Old 04-27-2010, 03:27 PM
EvilWayz
Tourer

I'm already running a cranecams HI-4 Ei.

This is what the webwsite says;

Requires digital signal from transmission sensor (or like device) for speedometer input and an ignition module with tachometer output.

Last edited by EvilWayz; 04-27-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Be cheap and run a bicycle speedo on there. I can't imagine anyone that would have an electronic speedo sensor for that tranny man. The crane should have a tach wire for sure my getto volt tech does.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:55 PM
EvilWayz
Tourer

I don't care so much about the speedometer, but i would like a very small digital tach. I've got an old school tank mounted speedo that works pretty good. Btw that's a nice lookin scoot you got there.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:38 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilWayz
... Requires digital signal from transmission sensor (or like device) for speedometer input and an ignition module with tachometer output.
There is absolutely no way this can be used on any IronHead. There is no sensor in the transmission, and one cannot be installed.

Quick Reply: going digital