Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Cycle electric regulator

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 11:59 AM
dirty78ironhead
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cycle electric regulator

I have the cycle electrics regulator that mounts on the generater, i just installed over the winter. My questions is do I still flash the generater? I am going from an old mech style regulater to this one and I understand you should flash everytime you unhook the battery. In the instructions for the regulator it doesnt say ... so before I flash it i just want to check.

Thanks
T-Ron

Old 03-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Neil74
Advanced

I have never flashed a cycle electric regulator, its solid state so no points to bounce an burn. It wouldn't hurt to flash your generator first and then hook up the regulator.
With the generator wires disconnected connect the battery positive cable to the generator armature terminal. Then momentarily connect the battery negative cable to the generator field terminal. Just use two wires long enough to reach, then hook up regulator an all should be good.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:37 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

The gen must be polarized any time it has been disconnected. Following is part of my Charging System Checkout notes, the section on polarizing. Note the last paragraph in particular ...

9. Polarizing the Generator

With the generator fully installed in the bike, all connections made, ignition off; connect one end of a jumper wire to the gen A, and momentarily touch the other end to the battery +ve terminal.

Usually [but not always they say], you will get a spark at the battery terminal and a light clunk sound from the gen.

10. Polarizing the Generator - The Complete Story

1. with the gen on the bench
[i] jumper the gen A to batt +ve
[ii] momentarily jumper from gen F to batt -ve

Note: This can be done the other way around,
[i] jumper gen F to the -ve batt
[ii] momentarily jumper gen A to batt +ve

2. with the gen on the bike, wires not connected
[i] jumper from gen F to a good ground
[ii] momentarily jumper from gen A to batt +ve

Note: This technique is preferred over #3 because the good ground is better than relying on grounding the F thru the reg.
Note: As with #1 this can be done the other way around.

3. with the gen on the bike, all wires connected
[i] momentarily jumper gen A to batt +ve

Note: This is technically the same as techniques #1 and #2 as the F is grounded thru the reg.

4. For bikes with a mechanical reg [1959 to 1977]

Momentarily jumper between BAT and GEN on the reg.

Note: this is technically the same as all of the other techniques as BAT is connected to batt +ve and GEN is connected to gen A.

5. For bikes with a Cycle Electric Generator/Regulator

On the Cycle Electric DGV-5000 generators you have to remove the brush cover and touch a wire from the positive terminal of the battery to the positive brush lead of the generator to polarize it. You can't polarize the generator from the external terminals. (One of the terminals is the battery terminal, and the other has an internal diode.)
You have to try pretty hard to reverse the polarity on those generators and they rarely need to be polarized.

For clarification: Cycle Electric does have a voltage regulator (the CE-540) which looks very similar. It will bolt up to a standard Model 65A generator and has external leads which connect externally between the regulator and the generator.
The CE-500 bolts to a Cycle Electric DGV-5000 generator and the regulator is internally wired to the generator.
- With the CE-540 setup the generator can be polarized by running a lead from the battery + to the "A" terminal.
- With the CE-500 you need to polarize the generator at the positive brush lead.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Neil74
Advanced

Very good info Mick, I've copied it and added it to my manuals.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:22 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

when i bought my cycle electric generator/regulator combo the directions said NOT to flash the generator.they said it never needed flashing again.----i dont why this is its just what the directions said.i didnt flash mine.----also they said it was recomennded you run a 20 amp inline fuse as well)

Old 03-24-2010, 06:56 AM
1200efi
Tourer
Smile cycle reg

I bought a 79 that has the reg on the gen, the batt was bad and had no charge at all, would not even light a test light. I installed a new batt and all is good. DID NOT flash. Hope it keeps working. Ride safe.