Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

1974 xlch oil filter - did it have one

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 08:37 AM
hog4u
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default +1 My post is ment to be tongue in cheek...***

Old 03-20-2010, 11:54 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hog4u
Ha-Ha!
I'm ready for ol' Ray myself. The guy from Florida I spoke of earlier was sent this 'gift' from Ray and now 'The new Guy ' has gotten to the point he has earned it too. Enjoy!
pg

Old 03-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

As Admin of this forum I feel that I need to step in here and clarify a couple of things. When you are new (even if you think you know everything) you still have to earn the respect of the other members. If you come in and **** off the whole forum then your name could be William Davidson or Walter Harley and nobody will pay any attention to you. If you can't play nice on this forum then I'm sure there are some Ironhead Forums out there that may welcome you with open arms. Just because you aren't throwing around names does not mean that you are not instigating the problems. If I have to intervene in more of an Admin type way here I imagine I'm gonna have to cut somebody loose.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:19 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Terry1955
As Admin of this forum I feel that I need to step in here and clarify a couple of things. When you are new (even if you think you know everything) you still have to earn the respect of the other members. If you come in and **** off the whole forum then your name could be William Davidson or Walter Harley and nobody will pay any attention to you. If you can't play nice on this forum then I'm sure there are some Ironhead Forums out there that may welcome you with open arms. Just because you aren't throwing around names does not mean that you are not instigating the problems. If I have to intervene in more of an Admin type way here I imagine I'm gonna have to cut somebody loose.
I heard your message Terry and I will tighten up my loose lip in the future.
Thanks....... pg

Old 02-24-2012, 10:53 PM
1960xlch
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

found this 1960 xlch for sale on side of road last week, gave the guy the $1,800 i had in my pocket. i want to take the oil cooler and front motor mount chrome oil filter off so i can have my 6 to 10 oil psi back and clean original looks. can you please tell me where i can find a diagram of how the original oil lines ran? thanks!

Old 02-25-2012, 04:43 AM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PG, did the '67 Sporty with the 1st electric start come with the oil filter? My memory isn't was it used to be!! I know that model had the side oil tank to make room for the starter.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:21 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 1960xlch
found this 1960 xlch ... i want to take the oil cooler and front motor mount chrome oil filter off so i can have my 6 to 10 oil psi back and clean original looks. can you please tell me where i can find a diagram of how the original oil lines ran? ...
The part number for the 1959 to 1969 factory service manual is 99484-69. You can order one from a local indie bike shop, HD dealer, eBay or other internet sellers. Use the part number as your search key.

In my experience the oil cooler has no effect on oil pressure. What makes you think the pressure is low? Is there a gauge on the bike? If there is one on the rocker cover it will always read zero when the engine is warmed up.

I did a Google search for ironhead oil lines. Most of the results were for 70s and 80s models, but this was in the list; a more thorough search will turn up more ...

'69 Ironhead oil line routing
http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=60100

Old 03-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Ironkidzsled
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Neil74
So as not to insult everyone from Florida, could you be a little more specific who that may be?
lol! Thanks

Old 03-02-2012, 01:07 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SportsterBob
PG, did the '67 Sporty with the 1st electric start come with the oil filter? My memory isn't was it used to be!! I know that model had the side oil tank to make room for the starter.
I know what you mean about slipping memory. I have that problem in spades!

As far as I know a 1967 with electric start and side mount oil tank came with that 'in tank' oil filter.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
pg

Old 04-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Ironkidzsled
Cruiser

Yeah I guess the service manual for 74 (not sure which if any) xlh or xlch shows it had the drop in tank style oil filter.. Or the guy I talked to at the HD parts counter was an idiot. Either way my 74 xlch DONT have one, but I sure wouldnt mind if it did!

Quick Reply: 1974 xlch oil filter - did it have one