Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

1974 xlch oil filter - did it have one

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 06:29 AM
Ironkidzsled
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Figured I'd chime in with my 2 cents! I'm sure anyone would agree, filtration is important, and preferable to having none.

Dynaman do me a favor, show a little more respect when talking to PinionGear please. Just happens to be one of the nicest, most helpful ppl on the ironhead forum aside from IronMick who I ask you to respect as well.

They've helped many others including myself fix bikes. I don't like anyone being shitful to good ppl, especially ones that helped keep me in the saddle! Preciate' ya

Old 03-19-2010, 12:58 AM
09DynaMan
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironkidzsled
Figured I'd chime in with my 2 cents! I'm sure anyone would agree, filtration is important, and preferable to having none.

Dynaman do me a favor, show a little more respect when talking to PinionGear please. Just happens to be one of the nicest, most helpful ppl on the ironhead forum aside from IronMick who I ask you to respect as well.

They've helped many others including myself fix bikes. I don't like anyone being shitful to good ppl, especially ones that helped keep me in the saddle! Preciate' ya
PG is deserving of the exact same respect as anyone else.
No more, no less.
The problem is that he appears, as you do, to think he is deserving of more.

He knows something. That makes him helpful to some.
Thats great.

It is very obvious that I have far more widespread knowledge than he does. Not just regarding HD motorcycles, but mechanical and engineering principles in general.

Yet you will not read any post where I am complaining about a lack of respect. I expect only the same as anyone else, and for any comments to be directed at the mechanical advice.

But..........

He has abused and insulted me, and I have not done any such thing to him.
I stick only to the mechanical side. He does not.
So be honest.
You should direct your post to him.

People who know a little seem like experts to those who know less. But when someone comes along that really does know, they cry and kick like a baby, and the personal insults begin.

But you may relax.

I will not at any time initiate a post against him. I will continue to only comment on the issue of the thread, and make replies, at my discretion, to posts directed towards myself whether by PG or anyone else.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:04 AM
Neil74
Advanced

There are always two sides to these problems. One side always chooses to replace a part with new technology. And one side always chooses to repair the old. This argument is as old as time and never any real winners.
I personally admire either approach, both sides are doing what they truly enjoy and that's what got us all here in the first place. If you are the type to grasp the new all I ask is save your old parts there is someone out there who cherishes it as much as you do the new technology.
I personally prefer running and maintaining my machines with what came on them, that's me, that's who I am. In no way does that make me better or worse than the man who chooses modern improvements. Just a different approach to the same thing, the enjoyment of owning and wrenching on machinery
In my opinion a filter or a cooler does not belong on an ironhead, these bikes are not modern Harley Davidsons. The new machines are built using closer tolerances and multi-viscosity oils, they're also all aluminum construction. Ironheads are old school dinosaurs that have survived with looser tolerances and I have seen no damaged machines from having not run a cooler or a filter, this is MY OPINION.
If you like running a cooler or a filter, run it, it won't hurt anything! If properly installed and maintained.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:03 PM
gunnut1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I have a 1970 XLCH that has a HD oil filter! Now, I am going to come clean, it is a kit with a new left front motor mount that HD sold in the 70s-80s, I debated whether to buy one or not. Have had it on there all of these years, not convinced that it makes a lot of difference, like Pinion said, if you keep the oil clean.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:26 PM
wvhh
Novice
Talking oil filter

pg an u all cats that know bout ironheads i have a 71 2 not like pgs but u cats help me out a lot thanks as far 4 09 i think hes full of bs but opions are like a holes everybody got 1 thanks pg an every thats gave advise lets see his scooter peace

Old 03-19-2010, 10:34 PM
Iron Joker
Novice

I have a 75 & I was told by an old mechanic that it shouldn't be there because of reduced flow. It's on the front of the bike & it does have to make a long trip to & from & considering the restriction of the line with the thick oil too. I'm considering taking it off.

These old bikes do run off of volume & not pressure mainly.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:43 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhead Joker
I have a 75 & I was told by an old mechanic that it shouldn't be there because of reduced flow. It's on the front of the bike & it does have to make a long trip to & from & considering the restriction of the line with the thick oil too. I'm considering taking it off.

These old bikes do run off of volume & not pressure mainly.
Yes indeed. A Sportster oil pump is doing good if it can develop 15 psi. From time to time you see guys have stuck an oil gage in the end of a rocker shaft. If it's a zero to 60 psi gage it will not even show any pressure on the face of the gage, where you have upstairs pressure close to 6 or 7 psi. A lot of good that does!
I would agree with you on removing the oil filter and putting it back as it was from the factory.
At the same time this is going to clean up the look of the machine getting rid of the unsightly hoses and the can on front.
pg

Old 03-20-2010, 05:56 AM
09DynaMan
Banned

Still waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Google not working for you on this one?

Old 03-20-2010, 07:54 AM
hog4u
Cruiser
Default Looks like it's time to bring O'Ray out of retirement....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8Tiz6INF7I

Old 03-20-2010, 08:10 AM
Iron Joker
Novice

Originally Posted by 09DynaMan
Still waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Google not working for you on this one?
I'm new here. I've read some of the threads here & dyna your a knowledgeabe guy & like to read your input. It's a lot more enjoyable if we stick to fun stuff like Ironheads & not bicker

Quick Reply: 1974 xlch oil filter - did it have one