Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

1974 xlch oil filter - did it have one

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:55 AM
spotzhill
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 09DynaMan
A small insight to the real you.
What a childish rant.
If you keep your advice accurate, and in the best interest of the person posing the question, as opposed to merely attempting to exert your personal preference on them, there will be no need for me to correct you.
I see you are are careful to ignore the actual issue though, and just rave on with a load of rot.
But to help you, I will offer this advice.

One oil filter will suffice. You seemed confused on that one.

But here's the science.

There is a need to ensure that the oil pump is matched to the flow rate of the filter. By which I mean, that if the filter is rated too high(say, down to 5 microns) and it is located inline on the return path, then the scavenge gears of the pump must be capable of coping with that specification. A non gerotor type XL pump can not cope with a 5 micron filtration system. I would not recommend lower than 40 at best.
I know I am way over your head here. You may, however, pretend you knew all along if you so choose.

Understanding the parameters involved now enables us to make quality judgements regarding suitable filtration.
Whether or not any given "style" is aesthetically pleasing to an individual is not for me to judge, but I can confirm that CCI part number 25248 is currently listed for your model. They do not list the rating, but that style of "car type" spin on, is generally around 35 -40 microns. I have no doubt they are selling a compatible kit.

And for the record, I do not believe you are in possession of any statistics regarding the preferences of others.

Now........ You say you used to think that a sportster did not need an oil filter.

My question should be easy for you to answer.

On what basis did you form this opinion? As in, in what way does a "sportster" differ mechanically from other vehicles in respect of the need for effective oil filtration?

First bold: is that called advise? ( i.e. This is what I do in your situation. )
the good thing about advise is that you can get it from differant sources and then make your own opinion.

Second bold: pretty sure he answered the ? in his first post by giving his your personal preference the rest where defending his said preference to you.

Third bold: Did you get that out of a book? You use pretty big words. Please for the sake all that are ruining their bikes by not putting a filter on dumb it down will you? I dumb enough to not use a filter I don't understand that!

Old 03-17-2010, 09:11 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 09DynaMan
A small insight to the real you.
What a childish rant.
If you keep your advice accurate, and in the best interest of the person posing the question, as opposed to merely attempting to exert your personal preference on them, there will be no need for me to correct you.
I see you are are careful to ignore the actual issue though, and just rave on with a load of rot.
But to help you, I will offer this advice.

One oil filter will suffice. You seemed confused on that one.

But here's the science.

There is a need to ensure that the oil pump is matched to the flow rate of the filter. By which I mean, that if the filter is rated too high(say, down to 5 microns) and it is located inline on the return path, then the scavenge gears of the pump must be capable of coping with that specification. A non gerotor type XL pump can not cope with a 5 micron filtration system. I would not recommend lower than 40 at best.
I know I am way over your head here. You may, however, pretend you knew all along if you so choose.

Understanding the parameters involved now enables us to make quality judgements regarding suitable filtration.
Whether or not any given "style" is aesthetically pleasing to an individual is not for me to judge, but I can confirm that CCI part number 25248 is currently listed for your model. They do not list the rating, but that style of "car type" spin on, is generally around 35 -40 microns. I have no doubt they are selling a compatible kit.

And for the record, I do not believe you are in possession of any statistics regarding the preferences of others.

Now........ You say you used to think that a sportster did not need an oil filter.

My question should be easy for you to answer.

On what basis did you form this opinion? As in, in what way does a "sportster" differ mechanically from other vehicles in respect of the need for effective oil filtration?
This will be (hopefully) my final reply to your garbage.
You are giving such helpful advice to all of us, BUT.......
I am still waiting to hear about your ironhead and see a pic of it.
I have shown you mine.....now show me yours.
pg

Old 03-17-2010, 06:02 PM
09DynaMan
Banned

I did not get that out of a book.
They are not big words.
Every mechanic should have a strong understanding of these principles, but , sadly, most do not.
I cannot understand most of your post.
I am only interested in the motorcycle, not the man. I cannot stand to see someone suffer due to poor advice.
I am yet waiting for a technical explanation regarding filters on early XL from PG.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:22 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

I am yet waiting for a technical explanation regarding filters on early XL from PG.
Here you go..........Early XLCH machines never had an oil filter. Now.........I am still waiting to see a picture of your ironhead. I have not heard you speak of it yet.
You do have one, don't you?
pg

Old 03-17-2010, 07:16 PM
xltjim
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I admittedly don't know everything about ironheads thats why I come here...for help. And I appreciate the folks on here not bashing me when my questions about ironheads sounds dumb. I did a cursory look at 09dynaman's posts and find them insulting and arrogant. He may know a lot, sure, but he sure has the bedside manner of a slug. He obviously tarnishes the value of this board.

PG (and others that I have come to know and respect) - If you told me that running playground sand in my ironheads oil tank would make it run better, I would take your advice over 09dynamrpersonality.

Admins - please ban this idiot.

Flame away 09dynaman.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:58 PM
09DynaMan
Banned

Originally Posted by xltjim
PG (and others that I have come to know and respect) - If you told me that running playground sand in my ironheads oil tank would make it run better, I would take your advice
This is a good reason to disregard anything you say.

You are all, in fact, "flaming" me.

I, of course, have only addressed the mechanical issues.

Those who have impressed others with errant advice, and I mean dangerously errant, to the point of damage, frequently react childishly when corrected.

Commonly, people project their own failings onto others.

I will not be inappropriately commenting on others , contrary to the treatment I have received.

I will, however, continue to object to poor advice that is not in the best interest of the original poster.

I know there will be no meaningful mechanical explanation from PG regarding why an early XL has no requirement for effective oil filtration.

Just false accusations of abuse from me, and actual abuse from PG(and others).

People get banned here for the things PG has said, not the things I have said.

Remember that.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:08 PM
spotzhill
Cruiser

So dyna guy is gonna jump on anyone who he thinks is wrong, So if running an early XL with out a filter is so "dangerously errant" why is my '79 still running in great in 2010? That is 31 years of dangerously errant unfiltered oil. My bike must be out of the norm. That has got to be it, so I better run out and get that aftermarket kit and put it on before something dangerously errant happens.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:04 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by spotzhill
So dyna guy is gonna jump on anyone who he thinks is wrong, So if running an early XL with out a filter is so "dangerously errant" why is my '79 still running in great in 2010? That is 31 years of dangerously errant unfiltered oil. My bike must be out of the norm. That has got to be it, so I better run out and get that aftermarket kit and put it on before something dangerously errant happens.
And I am riding right along side you on that.
My 1971 runs fine with never having had an oil filter and that covers the whole 39 years and God only knows how many thousands of miles we have covered.

Dilbert keeps asking for me to tell him why an early XLCH did not have an oil filter.
How the hell am I to know? Maybe the bean counters though it too expensive.
More than likely the answer is that the factory did not want to hang a bunch of garbage on this lean fast machine (in it's day of course) He should ask the factory why. They made it, not me.

This guy just shows up from who knows where and begins with the 'expert' advice. His view, not mine.
Just what qualifies him to make any kind of comment at all?
He does not own an ironhead from the look of it.
He doesn't ride an ironhead from all he has talked about.
Maybe he knows someone who has an ironhead?
Maybe this guy does not even own a motorcycle. Maybe he rides a Honda. Who knows and who cares?
So what makes anything he has to say of any importance to me?
The answer is nothing.

As any of us who has been around for a while at the forum knows one of these guys comes by on occasion.
After a bit they become bored and disappear.
The last guy who made such an appearance lives in Florida. Yeah, you know who I am talking about.

He may pop back in here with some arguing over some nitpick point but he will be gone again just as quick.
Bye-Bye Dil.........
pg

Old 03-17-2010, 11:43 PM
09DynaMan
Banned

I have not asked you why your model was produced without an oil filter.
I already know why that was.
I have asked you how you came to the conclusion, and therefore opinion, that your bike must not need an oil filter.
I have attributed to you the ability to understand the difference between those two.

However, if we were to consider your answer to the question which you say I asked, but which all who can read can clearly see I did not, that you feel that the reason for there not being an oil filter was for financial reasons, then that would be a definitive statement that.........

THERE IS A CLEAR NEED FOR AN OIL FILTER, AS IT WAS ONLY OMITTED TO REDUCE MANUFACTURING COSTS.

I await your reply to the actual question.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:25 AM
Neil74
Advanced

So as not to insult everyone from Florida, could you be a little more specific who that may be?

Quick Reply: 1974 xlch oil filter - did it have one