Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

1974 xlch oil filter - did it have one

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 01:39 AM
ironhead tommy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by piniongear
A 1974 XLCH with the center oil tank had no oil filter.
If you have a side mount oil tank (as came on the XLH) then the oil filter is incorporated in the filler cap.
Just change your oil frequently (every 1000 miles) and you will be fine.
pg
PG,
I have a 1977 XLH with a oil filer on it. And I change my oil every 1000 or 1500 miles also. Then thats just me, beside's oil is not that mush money wend it come's to my scooter.. I guess that's way we still have are OLD IRON HEADS today..
Tom

Old 03-16-2010, 08:10 AM
47Harley
Advanced

I have a 1977 XLCH that is my daily transportation. I run my bike 90 miles per and sometimes more and have never had a problem on the side of the road I can't fix to get back home.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:02 AM
dukester
Advanced

did you get your answer?

Old 03-16-2010, 04:07 PM
09DynaMan
Banned

Originally Posted by 47Harley
I have a 1977 XLCH that is my daily transportation. I run my bike 90 miles per and sometimes more and have never had a problem on the side of the road I can't fix to get back home.
This tells us some things.
You have a motorcycle that experiences roadside problems, and you are unable to prevent this.
You have been fortunate that nothing serious has yet transpired.
You believe this means you have a great bike, and you are a great mechanic.
Interesting.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:06 PM
47Harley
Advanced

Originally Posted by 09DynaMan
This tells us some things.
You have a motorcycle that experiences roadside problems, and you are unable to prevent this.
You have been fortunate that nothing serious has yet transpired.
You believe this means you have a great bike, and you are a great mechanic.
Interesting.
What this means is I've never had a major problem with my bike and I keep it running very well. My point is my bike is my DAILY transportation not some show piece that I bring to the local watering hole once a month. When you ride a bike that is 33 years old you are bound to have a few problems and if you don't then you don't ride it very often.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:26 PM
spotzhill
Cruiser

I have a '79 Iron, no oil filter, I put alot of miles on, I love my bike, I check my oil every weekend before my "long" rides, I ride everyday as my normal mode of transportation and do not worry about it. I change my oil anywhere from 1000 to 1500 miles give or take. I believe the more you add on and modify the more problems you will have. It is a '79 and it is still a runner... a kick a$$ $hit on your face runner.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:42 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ironhead tommy
PG,
I have a 1977 XLH with a oil filer on it. And I change my oil every 1000 or 1500 miles also. Then thats just me, beside's oil is not that mush money wend it come's to my scooter.. I guess that's way we still have are OLD IRON HEADS today..
Tom
You say you have a 1977 XLH with an oil filter. Sure, all XLH machines have always had an oil filter. It is located in the filler cap on a side mount oil tank. I also bet your oil tank is a side mount tank.....not a center mount tank.
pg

Old 03-16-2010, 09:56 PM
09DynaMan
Banned

You say you have a 1977 XLH with an oil filter. Sure, all XLH machines have always had an oil filter. It is located in the filler cap on a side mount oil tank. I also bet your oil tank is a side mount tank.....not a center mount tank.
pg
He is not making the point that he has added an oil filter.
He is making the point that despite the standard fitment of the oil filter, he still adheres to a very frequent oil change regimen.

UNREAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:16 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 09DynaMan
He is not making the point that he has added an oil filter.
He is making the point that despite the standard fitment of the oil filter, he still adheres to a very frequent oil change regimen.

UNREAL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe you can suggest what brand of after market oil filter I should buy to install on my old Sportster that has no oil filter.

I used to think a Sportster did not need an oil filter, but now after being exposed to your great wisdom I have changed my mind. Is it possible to install two oil filters on my bike? If I am going to filter it I want to really get the job done, and done right!

The Harley Davidson factory was wrong not to include an oil filter on an XLCH. What were they thinking?
Anyway, it is now 2010 as you like to say, and I have a lot of catching up to do.
I am so far behind the times that I think I may blow a gasket!
NAW........ I'll just let the steam slowly escape on second thought.
Keep dishing out your the helpful advice as I know everyone wants to hear it.
pg
PS: And Oh, post a pic of your ironhead if you get a chance. We would like to see what you are riding.

Last edited by piniongear; 03-16-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:38 AM
09DynaMan
Banned

Maybe you can suggest what brand of after market oil filter I should buy to install on my old Sportster that has no oil filter.

I used to think a Sportster did not need an oil filter, but now after being exposed to your great wisdom I have changed my mind. Is it possible to install two oil filters on my bike? If I am going to filter it I want to really get the job done, and done right!

The Harley Davidson factory was wrong not to include an oil filter on an XLCH. What were they thinking?
Anyway, it is now 2010 as you like to say, and I have a lot of catching up to do.
I am so far behind the times that I think I may blow a gasket!
NAW........ I'll just let the steam slowly escape on second thought.
Keep dishing out your the helpful advice as I know everyone wants to hear it.
pg
PS: And Oh, post a pic of your ironhead if you get a chance. We would like to see what you are riding.
A small insight to the real you.
What a childish rant.
If you keep your advice accurate, and in the best interest of the person posing the question, as opposed to merely attempting to exert your personal preference on them, there will be no need for me to correct you.
I see you are are careful to ignore the actual issue though, and just rave on with a load of rot.
But to help you, I will offer this advice.

One oil filter will suffice. You seemed confused on that one.

But here's the science.

There is a need to ensure that the oil pump is matched to the flow rate of the filter. By which I mean, that if the filter is rated too high(say, down to 5 microns) and it is located inline on the return path, then the scavenge gears of the pump must be capable of coping with that specification. A non gerotor type XL pump can not cope with a 5 micron filtration system. I would not recommend lower than 40 at best.
I know I am way over your head here. You may, however, pretend you knew all along if you so choose.

Understanding the parameters involved now enables us to make quality judgements regarding suitable filtration.
Whether or not any given "style" is aesthetically pleasing to an individual is not for me to judge, but I can confirm that CCI part number 25248 is currently listed for your model. They do not list the rating, but that style of "car type" spin on, is generally around 35 -40 microns. I have no doubt they are selling a compatible kit.

And for the record, I do not believe you are in possession of any statistics regarding the preferences of others.

Now........ You say you used to think that a sportster did not need an oil filter.

My question should be easy for you to answer.

On what basis did you form this opinion? As in, in what way does a "sportster" differ mechanically from other vehicles in respect of the need for effective oil filtration?

Quick Reply: 1974 xlch oil filter - did it have one