Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

1974 xlch oil filter - did it have one

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 12:50 PM
EvilWayz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 09DynaMan
The oil usage spec was in 1974.
It is TOTALLY IRRELEVANT NOW.
All that spec did was save HD a lot of warranty work.
It should never be construed as an acceptable guideline for any engine.
If you cannot build your ironhead to use only negligible amounts of oil, GIVE UP.

You do understand that there is absolutely nothing helpful about this post.

Why don't you tell us how a filter that gets the oil after it goes thru the engine is helpful instead. I know I'm dying to hear.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:24 PM
rocketsled
6th Gear

My '79 came with a magnetic drain plug for a filter, lol. I went to the local auto parts store and got an add on kit for a Volkswagon. No such thing as an aftermarket unit back then. The bike has had 8 topends and I finally did the bottomend with the 8th one. I changed the oil every 1000 miles even with the filter. We spend half the year here around a hundred degrees here. Compared to the engine oil and filters are cheap. It's just what I did. What you decide to do is up to you.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:43 PM
09DynaMan
Banned

Originally Posted by EvilWayz
You do understand that there is absolutely nothing helpful about this post.

Why don't you tell us how a filter that gets the oil after it goes thru the engine is helpful instead. I know I'm dying to hear.
I do understand that you are unable to grasp the point that all others have easily understood. It would be similar to my giving you a detailed explanation of the composition of the sun. To you it would be rubbish. But to others it would be fascinating.

Despite your clearly demonstrated difficulty with simple concepts, I will extend to you some further gratuity.

Oil filters filter oil.

I won't overload you with too much information at this time.
When it appears that you have got your head around that, we will move forward.
Oh, and do not worry, as there is, of course, a totally sound basis for not requiring the filter to go on the feed side.
But we will get to that in due course.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:55 PM
EvilWayz
Tourer

When you're done being condescending, I will describe the situation as i see it. Right now you're just showing your *** and using the anonymity of the internet to make statements you wouldn't dare make in person. I'd prefer to skip the internet tough guy label, so I'm moving ahead.

Oil goes from the bag, thru the engine, thru the aftermarket filter, back to the bag.

In my car, oil gets pumped thru the oil filter, which removes whatever particulate mater and gunk, and then sends the clean oil thru the engine. Then, the oil that has gone thru the engine is sent back thru the filter, where it begins this cycle again.

that is the way it SHOULD be on the ironhead. And I have had nothing but problems with the after market filter, from the design ( if you have forward controls you're screwed) to the extra crap that goes with it ( hoses flapping, leaks at thermostat and the oil cooler. Which is another debate unto itself, which i will be experimenting with this summer.

Piniongear hit on the head when he stated that having a filter downstream of the engine is pretty much **** on a boar hog.

I await your reply, oh learned one, and please, use one syllable words, I've only got a high school education. :P

Old 03-15-2010, 08:00 PM
47Harley
Advanced

I may not be a mechanical engineer, rocket scientist, or an ace mechanic but I'll put in my .02 for what it's worth and I'm sure some of you will correct me if I'm wrong.To my way of understanding the completely complex oiling system of H.D. is, oil comes from the oil bag through oil lines to the oil pump and then is pumped through the motor and returned to the oil bag. That makes the complete CYCLE before it is returned to the engine. Now this is where it gets tricky. Whether it be on the up side or down side the oil is still getting filtered and unless you had contamination in your oil tank or oil lines you motor would be getting clean oil fed to it after it was filtered.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:33 PM
EvilWayz
Tourer

seems to me though that contaminates and particulate are almost automatically going to gravitate to and/or get stuck in the oil bag, which means you are sending dirty or contaminated oil to your engine.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:44 PM
shepdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hope i dont **** any body off here but if harley thought filters where so worthless why did they put them on the later ironheads?and on everything after? i would rather have filterd clean oil in my tank than have junk goin in there to be sent back into the motor just my 2 cents

Old 03-15-2010, 08:47 PM
47Harley
Advanced

seems to me though that contaminates and particulate are almost automatically going to gravitate to and/or get stuck in the oil bag, which means you are sending dirty or contaminated oil to your engine.
If the oil that is going into your tank is clean where do the contaminates come from?

Old 03-15-2010, 09:41 PM
EvilWayz
Tourer

sucked in thru the breather, burnt up by the engine perhaps,or just broken down from the heat.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:48 PM
09DynaMan
Banned

sucked in thru the breather, burnt up by the engine perhaps,or just broken down from the heat.
The breather oil goes directly to the return, which goes directly to the filter.
Now theres a good idea.

Quick Reply: 1974 xlch oil filter - did it have one