Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Cafe Faring

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:40 PM
ironhead tommy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cafe Faring

Can anyone tell were I can fine a small cafe faring. I want to put one on my Stock 1977 Sporty.
Tom

Old 02-23-2010, 07:32 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Something like this? This is on a 1980 IronHead. I do not know where this one came from but i can probably find out in the next few days ...

Old 02-23-2010, 08:10 AM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 648 Likes on 232 Posts

I picked this old Tracy fairing up on eBay about a year ago. It was made specifically for Sportsters (5-3/4" headlight opening). I made nice custom brackets for it, and no mods are necessary to the bike - I can take it off in a couple minutes and there's no evidence it was ever there. Works very well, especially at higher speeds...

Arlen Ness makes a narrow glide cafe' fairing, but you have to relocate the headlight outward to get it to fit right. Most all the other classic cafe' fairings out there (like the pic Mick posted) have a 7" headlight opening. You have to either: live with a space around your headlight, mount a larger headlight, or mod the fairing to make the hole smaller. The stock Sportster headlight sits so far back that most aftermarket fairings will hit your bars, cables, forks, etc. before they reach the headlight, too. I saw a pic of one modified with part of a plastic flower pot that made the headlight hole smaller and moved the fairing out a couple inches - looked like a good idea.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:48 PM
ironhead tommy
Cruiser

Ironmick, if you could fine out were you got your's that would be great!!!! I like the way it looks. I also found a real nice pair of national cycle hand deflectors..
Tom

Last edited by ironhead tommy; 02-23-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:53 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Ness makes a kit to move the headlight forward on newer bikes too, but on a '77 I don't know.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:10 PM
83XLX
Road Warrior

Another one I forgot to mention is the Rifle Roadster fairing - I'm pretty sure it will fit a Sportster with minimal mods.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:54 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ironhead tommy
Ironmick, if you could fine out were you got your's that would be great!!!! ...
I should be seeing the current owner of the bike in the next few days. I'll ask then.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:03 PM
83XLX
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by IronMick
I should be seeing the current owner of the bike in the next few days. I'll ask then.
Hey Mick, it looks like he fitted clip-ons and a 7" headlight, too. If you don't mind, ask him what he had to do to fit the fairing.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:23 PM
ironhead tommy
Cruiser
Smile

Originally Posted by 83XLX
Another one I forgot to mention is the Rifle Roadster fairing - I'm pretty sure it will fit a Sportster with minimal mods.
83XLX,
I looked on E-Bay like you said. Noting on there that I like.. But the more I look at your's Im being to LIKE it ALL THE MORE.. Just maybe I will fine one some were. Another one I like is the smaller one that you see on alot of the Sportster Roadster. Im going for that old school cafe look. I also would like to fine a BELLY PAN that looks like the one on the FXDSE that will fit on also. Anyway I DID FINE FORK MOUNTING HARDWEAR on E-BAY. If you guy's are looking for a nice setup look on Ebay for the Hardwear $15.00 only..
TOM

Old 02-23-2010, 09:32 PM
sportsterpaul
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the fairing in Iron Micks reply is the Rifle Roadster fairing, made for Sportsters, also, Ness offers one which I believe is just a little smaller than the Rifle. Good luck and post a pic when you get it handled, thanks.

Quick Reply: Cafe Faring