Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

forward controls nitemare

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 02:27 PM
EvilWayz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default forward controls nitemare

I've installed three different sets of forward controls, and every time the down shift is way wfar and the throw to upshift is impossible. is it possible the shifter shaft is old and slipping? I'm tired of work on my bike, i'd like to ride it.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:53 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

To check the shift linkage install the mid control shift lever and peg directly on the shaft then see how it shifts. When i was having trouble setting up my forwards i did this and it shifted perfectly. So i knew the problem was the forwards.

The long rod connects the front shift lever [which has the foot peg that you shift with] to the back shift lever [which conncts to the shift shaft from the primary cover]. In some installations that is below, in others it is above the shaft.

The point at which the rod connects to the back shift lever must be directly in line with, or slightly to the front of, the point where the shaft comes out of the cover.

All connections must be tight and have almost no wiggle. However, in some cases if parts are too tight the parts will wear.

If the forward controls mount far forward [in front of the exhaust on the right side] it is almost impossible to get them to operate without lifting your foot from the footpeg, on either side. The angle is just way too wrong.

Post a closeup pic of each side the way you have it and i'll make some suggestions.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:42 PM
shepdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ended up cutting mine completly apart, shortend the the arm on the shift shaft lenghtend everything else,got it working good then had it all re-chromed, it took alot of trial and error to get them to go thru the motions correctly

Old 02-12-2010, 06:28 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

On at least several occasions i spent a few hours fiddling with mine. I replaced the rod with a length of 3/8" threaded rod, fine threads, stainless steel; and covered it with a nice chrome 3/8" ID water/sink tube from Home Depot plumbing section. Went thru several/many variations before getting one that worked well.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Ironkidzsled
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn! All this talk is ALMOST enough to make me not want to try putting em' on mine... Right now just runnin highway pegs with mid controls. I ride highway mostly so its bearable right now. During rush hour or in traffic it sucks bad tho cause I gotta stay on the controls.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:26 PM
shepdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i went thru everything i said, and ran them for about a year took them off thru them in the corner, havent looked at them since ( my back said it was time to ditch them)

Old 02-23-2010, 07:11 PM
droff85
Advanced

What type of forwards are they? I bought a set that when they were on the bike I found out the only way to upshift was to actually take your foot off the peg. I also realized that the brake was the same. I didnt feel comfortable doing this so I pulled them off and sent them back. Now I have stock mids.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:13 PM
EvilWayz
Tourer

they are custom made. the brake works pretty well but the bike will not shift up without this crazy motion where i hook my foot on it and pull backwards real hard.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:53 AM
Ironkidzsled
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kickin around the idea lately of fabbin a jocky type shift with clutch lever mounted to it. Can actuate clutch and just push/pull the lever at the same time to shift. Figured u might like the idea to or jus something to think about

Old 02-24-2010, 01:57 AM
fxd650
Cruiser

make a little heel shifter off the bottom.... maybe dumb but just an idea, i love my mids!

Originally Posted by EvilWayz
they are custom made. the brake works pretty well but the bike will not shift up without this crazy motion where i hook my foot on it and pull backwards real hard.

Quick Reply: forward controls nitemare